Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Luckenbach Texas

November 15, 2011

Luckenbach Texas

            Can’t believe it !  I was looking at the Hill Country map to figure out where I would ride to on a gorgeous day and couldn’t believe my eyes….right below Fredericksburg is the town of Luckenback!  Is this the home of the famous Waylon Jennings song?  Oh man, I gotta go there.
            Weather is looking good so…..rolled Sophia outa the trailer and headed out for a ride to Luckenbach.  It was a perfect day for it…and I was anticipating catching some great views of the country.  


            My ride was to be a run through the Texas Hill Country.  The route originated from Zach’s and Harley’s apt on Anderson Mill Rd to US 183 to TX360 south, headed west on BeeCaveRd (FM2244) to Bee Cave and north on TX71 to FM3238 (HamiltonPoolRd).  I had been on this road on the run to Johnson City and the winery there, but this time my intent was to run it all the way to US281 and head south to Johnson City to pick up the US290 west towards Fredericksburg but turn south before reaching the city onto RR1376 that leads into Luckenbach Loop. 
Seemed pretty simple except these country roads aren’t posted with numbers like on the map….they post them with names like “Lizard Lick Rd” vs TX 1234 or whatever.  Hence, I missed the turnoff for a few other roads that I wanted to ride.   However, that said, I found me a nice ride on FM3238 and a sweet hairpin curve onto a one lane washout bridge…here’s some pics.





            Missing the turnoff for CR301 ended me onto US290 which, heading south, would take me into Johnson City.  But I had another road I wanted to take through the town of Sandy which would have taken me around Johnson City.  Yep, you guessed it….no highway number signs, only names, so I missed that road also and went the long way through Johnson City. 
            But I did find the turnoff for Luckenback.  Actually, the signs came up with no warning and I had to do a u-ey.  But I got there.  The first notice of Luckenback was a marquee sittin on a trailer announcing some event.  It didn’t seem like a road into a town because it was dirt/gravel, so I passed it by.  The 2nd sign stated Luckenbach Loop and was also dirt/gravel…so I turned into it.  As I turned onto the dirt road there was another Harley rider with his babe on the side of the road.  I pulled over to them and introduced myself…asked if this was the road to the famous L.  Yep..I’m on the right dirt road. 

            So I continued in and saw a few old clapboard structures…small, no paint,  just bare weathered wood.  Right turned into a dirt parking area with a tree in the center that was shading a plaque.  I looked back over my left shoulder and saw that the weathered “shack” was the post office.  So I pulled my bike in front of it for some pics taken by a young couple visiting with their 2 year old cutie.  Bill held Liberty, his cute little 2 year old, while his wife Jessica took the photo. I think they were visiting from Corpus Christi area.  Bill rides a Japanese bike and is looking forward to when he can buy a Harley.         


            In the back of this structure, behind the general store/post office is the saloon.  I treated myself to a coke and walked around the dirt area Amphitheatre in front of the stage.  Met another couple riding their BMW cruiser throughout the area and took some pics for them.  Also met some other folks there and took group pics of them.  Check out all the license plates placquered on the walls and posts.  Can you just imagine the country western greats performing on this stage??

            Back in the Post Office/General Store I met Lorna Terry, the resident psychiatrist, and had a great conversation with her.  Hats off to her for trimming 125 lbs to reach  her current svelte frame J!  And yes, she validated that I am not incurably insane….there is hope J!  To prove it she willingly sold me my Luckenbach Tshirt of an Armadillo riding on a Harley.  There is something reassuring of being armadillo armor clad from society’s norms J.

The run back to Austin was uneventful…..a nice ride in the cool Texas Hill Country evening.  Luckenbach beckons me back next year…gotta hear some good ol’ Texas music.
            Just remember, “Everybody’s Somebody in Luckenbach”.
C ya mañana
Gonzo
twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
email: GonzoCrossUSA@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment