Sunday, February 17, 2013

Mission San Jose

October 5, 2012

Surprise!  Mission San Jose is not located in the City of San Jose.  No indeed, it is located in the city of Fremont CA., which is about 19 miles from my brother in law’s house in San Jose.

This was a simple day ride, just to get out of the house and along the freeway to become familiar with one of the roads.  Google had me take a simple route, I-880 to Mission Blvd and I would find the Mission on my right.

It was an easy ride, good to get out of the house and begin my individual exploration of the area.  The freeway had a lot of congestion but speeds never dropped below 55mph until exiting on Mission.

When I got there I couldn’t find any distinctive signs to show my position.  And to take a photo similar to the one in the SCMA Passport was virtually impossible due to the heavy traffic on Mission Blvd.  It appeared that everyone was using this particular road to transverse from the freeways into the City of Fremont.   So I did the best I could do given the circumstances and took this shot of the building, a sign on the low post, and then a close up of that sign.



I then found where the gift shop was located and walked up to the entrance.  Inside were two people, a volunteer and one of the workers at the mission itself.  We chatted briefly, I explained about the SCMA Mission Tour, obtained the necessary stamp, and then left. 

This time I walked down the steps and straight out to the front of the building and found a sign on a pole of sorts. I noticed two ramps that would allow me to ride Sophia onto the sidewalk and park her next to the post. Then the ramp that would allow me to get back onto Mission Blvd so I could head back to San Jose with a day’s Mission accomplished (pun intended).  Somehow I managed to pull it all off without a city patrol car coming by and ticketing me!
 

Before leaving  the mission I tanked up at the local gas station and obtained a receipt (just in case it was needed).  Then back to I-880 south into San Jose.  All in all, a simple ride.

3 Missions completed, 18 to go.
C ya mañana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Email: GonzoCrossUSA@gmail.com
Cell: 949-433-0761

No comments:

Post a Comment