Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Two National Parks and One Mission

October 15, 2012
San Jose CA
SF Maritime Nat’l Historic Park, Golden Gate Nat’l Rec Area, Mission San Rafael

Today will be covering some of the same area as yesterday when I was here but the Park offices were closed.   The route was the same as yesterday except when exiting at the Golden Gate Bridge I just headed over to Marina straight into the motorcycle parking in front of the Sentry’s gate to Ft. Mason’s offices on the piers.  The San Francisco Maritime offices are located, in what appears to be converted barracks from days gone by, on the 2nd floor of Bldg E.  This area is the lower section of Fort Mason and is on Marina just before it t-bones on a right turn only onto Laguna.  Food store is on the right corner and entry to the ‘barracks offices security gate is on the right.  Outside Bldg E is some kind of aluminum sculpture and Snoop wanted a photo sitting in the end of it.  We found the offices upstairs and Snoopy got his photo taken with Darmisha who was a great help getting me a park stamp and directions to Ft. Mason proper where the Golden Gate Rec Offices are located. 





Then up to the Fort Mason entrance to the admin buildings where the Golden Gate NP is located.  I couldn’t help but wonder why the stamps weren’t located at the visitor’s center located right at the bridge?  Ranger Al was gracious to pose with Snoopy and then I rode over to Hyde Street Pier and got a photo of me and Snoopy with the Balcutha in the background. 



With these two parks out of the way I then headed over the Golden Gate (my first time on this bridge) into San Rafael.  I took a photo while riding the bridge, then took a few more at the vista point at the Marin end of the bridge when Snoopy got to pose with some friends.
 



San Rafael was just a hop skip away, like 12 miles down the road.  The mission sits right at the end of A street where it t-bones into 5th.  I was fortunate to have Mary and her husband Steve visiting from Texas….I took some photos for them and they took mine in front of the Mission just like in the SCMA Passport.
 

My return to San Jose was via I-580 over the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge.  This seemed like a faster route back to San Jose and also a cheaper….ya gotta pay to cross the Golden Gate when crossing into San Francisco.

Yeah, I’m a cheapie….gotta afford the gas and Snoopy’s eating style….filet mignon con Asparagus, pretzels and aged root beer!
C ya mañana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Cell: 949-433-0761

No comments:

Post a Comment