Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Day 22: June 23, Moose on the Road

It was sometime around 12:30 when I rolled out of Madawaska heading northwest towards Ft. Kent and US11.  The morning goodbye was made to Martins Motel staff and I rode over to Tim Horton’s for breakfast with Joe and Dianne LaChance.  Upon entering Tim’s I was greeted by a customer sitting in a group of laughing elder citizens all chatting in French.  It was one of Joe’s friends that I had met yesterday who kindly remembered me.  Not seeing Joe there I placed my camera and notebook on a table and went to the counter to order coffee and egg sandwich. 

For those of you who haven’t been to the northeast (including NY and Canada) Tim Horton’s is a fantastic coffee and pastry chain, started in the 60’s by Canadian hockey great Tim Horton.  Now their menu includes, in addition to their delicious coffee and pastries/donuts, breakfast and lunch sandwiches and a variety of soups.  It’s a place that I enjoy visiting when my travels find me in the territory.

Just before Joe and Diane entered another of Joe’s friends came in and was standing in line when he noticed me.  His cheery ‘good morning’ echoed the earlier other greeting and confirmed that these folks seem to be always happy and enjoying meeting others.  I thought the place was pretty lively already but the activity meter doubled when Joe and Diane entered the place.  Everybody greeted him, calling to him in French, more laughter erupted as friendly barbs were exchanged!

After breakfast we went over to Diane’s office and closed the deal on my ordering 2 pavers for the Park and then Sophia, Snoopy and I headed to Ft. Kent. 

US11 is a beautiful ride through Maine’s valleys, hills and a couple of lakes.  The AAA map marks is as ‘Scenic’ from Ft. Kent to Portage, but the H-D HOG Anniversary Edition by Rand shows US11 as ‘Scenic’ all the way to Stacyville where it joins I-95.  I tend to agree with Rand’s H-D book.  The other observation about the AAA map is that it marks I-95 as a ‘Scenic’ highway from a few miles north of Stacyville all the way south to Augusta….and I couldn’t agree more!

But US11 is the charmer.  Views of evergreen-treed mountains, hills and valleys, beautiful lakes, charming small towns, a well maintained two-laner, and fresh, pine-scented air!  What more could a distance rider ask for?  Well, I didn’t ask for it but I got treated to another moose sighting.

It was somewhere between Eagle Lake and Portage Lake, coming down a hillside, when an opposing car flashed its high beams at me.  I interpreted it as a cop warning but wasn’t worried because I was only doing 60-65 in this heavily wooded area. 

A mile or so later, coming down another hill, I saw her, a big mama of a moose, come out from the woods lining the road, and step upon the pavement with her two front hooves.  I immediately slowed to almost a stop expecting her to cross the road.  She didn’t.  So I stopped.  She stared at me.  I stared back (praying).  Then she turned and headed back into the woods whence she had come.  Hoping to get a photo of her I rode up to the spot where I saw her disappear and gazed into the thickly pined woods…..nothing.  The woods were so thick and dark with pines and brush that she could have been 10 feet from the tree line and I never would have seen her!

Continuing south I began to notice the skies clouding up with the clouds flowing quickly to the east, as if a front was sweeping though.  The morning weather channel didn’t show such a condition looming on my ride but I decided to be prepared and pulled over at a rest stop to put on the rain gear….aa couple of miles later and the darkest cloud swooped in and dropped it’s deluge of fresh rain.  From then on the day alternated between rain, dry overcast, and sunshine. 

The ride down I-95 was uneventful and before I knew it my exit for US2 at Newport showed up and I headed west to the Kancamangus to ride the first of the Best 15 USA Roads Challenge.  Around 6pm I reached Farmington ME with the rain getting heavier.  Just west of the town was a small mom & pop motel that called to me inviting me to spend the night and take advantage of their marquee offering a military discount. 

It was a very good price and not only did I stay dry watching the downpour over the next few hours but I slept very well, thank you!
C ya mañana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Email: GonzoCrossUSA@gmail.com
Cell: 949-433-0761

1 comment: