Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Death Valley/Sierra Werewolf

September 28, 2012
Independence, CA

After loading Sophia early in the AM I headed down to the local café/Lounge for breakfast.  There were only 6 folks in there, and two of them were the waitress and cook.  Everyone kinda gave me the once-look-over as I picked a booth at the window giving me an unobstructed view of Sophia and all my gear, With the CA and NV maps laid out on the table top, I began tracing the route for today’s run from Caliente to Mammoth Lakes.

The waitress came over and welcomed me to their restaurant with a smile, greeting, and menu.  Without looking at the menu I ordered my favorite breakfast.  I asked for coffee, water, 2 eggs over medium, ham and hash browns with sourdough toast.  I was hungry from only eating a chicken sandwich for dinner last night.  The waitress was a real sweetheart….the water and coffee appeared within 60 seconds

My original plan was to depart Caliente for Tonopah via US-93 then head west on NV-375 to Warm Springs where I connect onto US-6 towards Tonopah.  From Tonopah I’ll continue on US-6 to Mammoth Lakes where I will visit the Devil’s Postpile for another stamp on my CA Parks Adventure Passport.  This will be Nat’l Park #7 for me with the goal to visit all 24 NPs in CA to meet the SCMA’s requirements.  Then, after spending the night at Mammoth, I would head south on US-395 to Manzanar NHS (location of the infamous Japanese Internment) then further south and east into Death Valley NP.  If time permitted I would then retrace my route to Mammoth and spend another night there or camp the night in Death Valley and head for San Jose the next day via Tioga Pass through Yosemite.  It seemed like a good plan, but I was not completely sold on it.  Curiosity of an alternate route was nagging me in the back of my pea brain.

The meal was absolutely delicious and the coffee was good.  Three local gents, retiree’s, came in and sat at the counter to socialize with the waitress and start their day with a good breakfast.  While refilling my coffee cup the waitress asked me if I finally figured out my route.  I expressed my lack of confidence in my route and how I was giving it new thought.  That seemed to open my eyes a little and I reconsidered the sequence.  What if I were to head south on US93 into northern Vegas, skirt around it and enter CA just south of Death Valley?  From there I could then head east into Lone Pine and spend the night there before visiting Manzanar and the Postpile.  The more I looked at the map, the more it seemed to be of lesser mileage than the original plan.  When I got up from the table the waitress looked at me from behind the counter where she was chatting with the 3 gents and asked, “ya got it now??”   My affirmative was followed with a description of the route and an invitation to the three gents for their opinion.  We soon all became buddies conferring on the days ride. 

We all agreed that none of us liked Vegas and that it was a good idea to skirt around it on the north and that Death Valley was going to be hot!  With that reassurance of a challenging day I mounted my trusty iron lady and rode out of Caliente on US-93 heading west, then south, for Vegas.  US-93 actually runs from Phoenix AZ north through NV, ID and MT into Canada.  I have been on this road from Vegas south to AZ running through Hoover Dam, Kingman to where it terminates in Wickenburg.  In the north I have been on this road from Whitefish MT south to Missoula where I connected on US12 Lolo Pass.  And I rode on it a few days ago when I passed through Ely NV while riding US-50.  50 and 93 share the same asphalt east from Ely and then go their separate ways about 25 miles later when 93 turns south to Caliente.

The day was perfect…temperature just right on the morning ride…..until I dropped down to Vegas altitude and the sun got well up in the sky.  I tanked up at a Flying J at the junction with I-15, briefly chatted with a trike rider, then skirted around Sin City on 215 to US95.  Once away from the suburban bustle and safely on 95, it was an open road to the NV-374 connection where I would head east into CA on CA-127.  Before that I tanked up again at Indian Springs not being sure of fuel availability out on these desert highways.  It was a good thing that I did because gas is pretty expensive in the Valley….and scarce.  I reached the junction where CA190 t-boned into CA127 and saw a café/motel nearby so continued on 127 expecting to find a gas station around the bend.  Oops….the little town ended around the bend…..I had to u-turn and decided to go into the café for a soft drink and fueling advice.  The waitress there was a sweetheart and served me an ice cold coke and encouragement that there was a gas station in Furnace Creek and it was only 30 or so miles away.  I had nothing to worry as I had about 120 miles in the tank so I felt a lot better as I headed east on 190 to Furnace Creek.

Riding through Death Valley was completely different from all the deserts that I have been through previously.  There is some vegetation, but not a whole lot…nowhere near what is in Utah or Arizona or Texas/New Mexico.  Very unique geology also became evident.  The road started out as straight through desert, then it began running thru low lands lined by desolate rocky hills.  The ride seemed longer than 30 miles, but I finally came over a hill and upon some buildings that I thought were the Visitor’s Center.  But it turned out to be a Resort Hotel/Spa of sorts.  Eventually I did find the Visitor’s Center and this is where Snoopy took over.  He is such a demanding mutt!  I had to take photo’s of him both inside the Center and out in front of the building. 
 
 
 
Once inside, the Park Ranger gave me some directions to the lowest point and also advised the evening was going to be very warm if I decided to camp there.  He also advised me there was another gas station at Stovepipe Wells where gas would be much less than what it was in Furnace Creek and it was only 25 miles away.  Badwater is only 18 miles away so the total distance to badwater the back to Stovepipe is like 61 miles…..I have plenty of gas to make it!  And then Snoopy disappeared only to be found scampering amongst the displays!

Once I got Snoopy under contorl, and with the Ranger's info, Snoopy and I headed to Badwater, the lowest point in Death Valley.  And the mongrel did it again.  Photo’s had to be taken of him posing everywhere. 


 
And then, further feeding his ego, the visitors there all wanted to pose with the mutt and have their pics taken.  Many of the visitors were from Germany so Snoopy suggested that on the next trip we should be a little more fluent in that language.  I suggested he woof off cuz we were going to learn to speak Spanish. 
 
Out in the Badwater parking lot, just as I got on Sophia, one of the German tourists called to me and pointed up the hillside.  I looked and found a sign denoting sea level!  Wow, 282 feet below sea level is quite a distance! 
 
 
 
 
We then hauled butt up to the sign for the Devil’s Golf Course but didn’t visit it as we had to get over the Sierra’s and into Lone Pine.  Little did I know that it was going to be a very long day!
 

We passed thru Furnace Creek again and marveled at the diversity of the landscape.  We seemed to be below sea level all the way to Stovepipe Wells where my observation was verified. 

 
And this is where I encountered two minor problems.  First, the gas station only had 87 octane, and second, I was dehydrated and tired.  Both were easily solved.  I estimated the mileage to Lone Pine using the Garmin at 81 miles and tanked up just that amount needed to reach there when added to the fuel remaining in the tank.  Then I went and bought a large fountain coke with ice and sat in the shade sipping it until I felt ready to resume the ride.  This was a good thing health wise, but a bad thing for timing….it was getting late….the sun was setting.  Finally I got on the road.

It was a long climb out of the Valley, and I only stopped once to put on my leathers since it was getting chilly.  The sun settled as I was still working my way to the Sierra foothills and it was completed dark when I started the climb over the mountain and hit the twisty turnies.  Damn!!  I didn’t get any views of the surrounding mountains or back looks at the Valley.  This means I will have to revisit this ride again in March or so when the temps are still cool and there’s no hint of rain J.   But that was the least of my worries.  The ride at this point was tenuous, strained.  Often I found myself taking dark turns at 35mph or less completely enveloped by darkness.  I thought the ride would never end.  Finally, I topped out on a plateau of sorts, or low hills and passed through a small town.  The first sign of humanity since leaving Stovepipe.

Finally CA-190 ended at US-395 and there was a Chevron Station nearby.  I pulled in to but the gas price was way too high.  Back on the road heading into town I came across the first motel, a Best Western, with a large marquee announcing, “Welcome Film Festival Attendees”!

Oh Crap!!!  A film festival is in progress??  There goes the motel rooms.  And sure enough.  Every motel had a “NO vacancy” neon lit up.  But I was optimistic.  I knew there was another town to the north of Manzanar and I figured I could get a room there.  NOPE.  There were 3 (or maybe 4) motels in the small town of Independence, but they were all full up.  Looks like I’ll be camping, but where? 

I pulled into the local gas station and asked the young lady behind the counter if she was aware of any nearby campgrounds.  “Yes”, she said, “turn left at the post office and go ½ mile up the road and it will be on my right!  Wow!  Is this too good to be true!  Off I went, and indeed it was only a half mile away and practically empty with only one RV in it.  As I pulled into the 2nd site from the entrance and backed Sophia into the slot, another car entered the grounds.  The car stopped where I was at then slowly moved down the dirt road to the other end of the grounds.  Then it turned around and came back to where I was at.  Two guys were in the car.  Hmm, what gives here?  Thinking the worse scenario that could happen, I opened the duffle bag containing all my camping gear and extracted my hatchet and survival blade.  Then went over to the picnic table and sat there to observe the two yoyo’s.  When the car got back to the entrance it did another u-turn and slowly rode along each site.  Then it made a right turn and ended up on the other side of the tree line that bordered the dirt road.  I could see the headlights thru the tree line strand, roaming in the darkness, then the lights turned back and came back over to the dirt road side of the woods, came halfway down the dirt road and pulled into a slot, right next to the blockhouse toilets.  Weird!  I kept an eye on them while I began unloading my gear. 

I decided that I would sleep on top of the picnic table since I had no plans on making a fire and having a picnic.  Dinner would be a can of cold chili and beans from the food supply in the saddlebag washed down with the big can of beer I bought at the gas station. 

Ahhhh, life is good! 

A view into the greying sky revealed the moon rising.

As I was getting the sleeping bag arranged and camp gear tidyied up I heard pounding over where the two bozos were….tent pegs.  Then a camp light came on and I could see that they were actually setting up a camp and not planning on bothering anyone.  Still, I decided to keep my defense tools nearby while I slept.  With my dinner consumed, trash disposed, yadayada, I crawled into my sleeping bag and called it a night. 

About a half hour later the full moon broke over the tree under which I was sleeping.  Damn!  It was like a 60 watt lightbulb hanging over my face!  I pulled the cover of the bag over my head and down over my eyes.  Ahhhh, much better, total darkness.  I began to relax, letting the muscles settle, listening to the sounds of the night.  My method is to become familiar with the standard sounds as I dozed off but would awake upon hearing anything that was not standard for the little world around my site, i.e., footsteps, etc. 

It was then that I became aware of the light gurgling and splashing of water.  Well I’ll be!  There was a stream in the line of woods on the other side of the dirt road.  Not more than 30 feet away…..cool!   My cover moved off my eyes and the brightness of the moon disturbed my nodding off.  I covered my eyes again.  I began to nod off, listening to the quiet, the wind, my breathing, distant sounds of the occasional vehicles slowly riding through town ½ mile away.  All was good.  The air was at least 70 degrees, perfect for a good sleep.  I dozed…..

Snap! 

I was instantly awake without moving. 

WTH was that??? 

I slipped each hand under the bedding and pulled out the hatchet with my right hand and blade with my left. 

I listened.  Only the standard sounds could be heard.  Resting the blade on my chest I brought my hand up to remove the cover from my eyes and recovering the blade in my hand, slowly turned on my side and scanned the area. 

Nothing, just a full moon.

Crap!!! A full moon! 

This is freaking werewolf night! 

Aww man, now I’ll never get to sleep!  I’m gonna become a bloody meal for some Werewolf that roams the Sierras feasting on sheep, cattle, and the occasional Harley rider camping in Independence!

This is gonna be a long night.  My blade is steel, the hatchet is steel, and I didn’t bring any silver bullets. I think I’m in deep doo doo. 

Why does this always happen to me?
C ya mañana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Cell: 949-433-0761

No comments:

Post a Comment