Friday, December 7, 2012

Snoopy Rides UT-12

September 27, 2012
Caliente NV

Wow!  Did I ever have a good sleep!  Guess I’ll keep this Boulder View Inn motel on my list of favorites.  I actually slept in and got up when I felt rested.  Breakfast was good….they hard hardboiled eggs that I combined with my peanut butter toast and jelly with lotsa coffee….then I went back to the room and started loading Sophia for todays’ ride.

While loading Sophia my motel neighbor came over to compliment the bike.  Craig and Cathy Carlson saw me last night riding with Snoopy.  Actually, they noticed Snoopy first and decided to chat with me later. I didn’t write down where their home state but I think it is Minnesota or Michigan.  They’re serious hikers and are vacationing the west’s National Parks.  Check out this pic Craig sent me from Antelope Canyon outside of Page AZ.

 A short ride thru town and then a quick stop at Slackers Hamburger Joint so Snoopy could get his picture there…he claims it was a very good hamburger!  

 
Then just a bit down the road and a right turn onto UT-12 and I was on my way to riding event #14.  And of course, within a few miles I came upon a B&B or two….something to do with cowboys.  I think when I revisit this area I will google B&B’s and make reservations.  Right from the start I could tell this was going to be a vista magnifico ride!  It was like being on the Blue Ridge Pkwy again, except this was all desert.  I just wanted to stop everywhere and take photos. Oh yeah…….that’s what I did do J.



Every few miles there was a turnoff for a vista and I found myself stopping at almost everyone.  The views of the distant canyons and the layered earth tone colors of the canyon walls were beautiful.  I was hoping the camera would catch all the hues that my eye could see but I don’t think I was successful in doing so.  The initial ride out of Torrey seemed to be through a lot of forested land as UT12 wound its way upward.  I caught a number of photos of the surrounding desert canyons however.


As I continued climbing in altitude, the temperature kept dropping and the clouds started to build up in the distance.  I decided to stop and don the raingear over the leathers to keep warm and to be prepared for rain if it were to occur. 

Later, during a particular climb through more forested hills, there was a pull out on the opposite side of the road.  I crossed over and parked the bike behind another car whose driver was standing at his open door, with his hands and camera steadied on top of the door, taking a photo of the distant canyons.  Extracting my camera from around my neck I scanned the hillsides and took a shot of Snoopy with colorful trees in the background.  The fella by the car was looking at the bike so I greeted him.  His name was Steve and he was from Germany so I got a photo of him with Sophia and he took one for me. 


Then I decided that I better get a move on if I were to have lunch in Escalante, finish riding UT12 to Bryce and then make it to Caliente NV for the night so I can meet all the destination objectives for the next few days.

It was only a few miles later that I reached the peak of the ride, at least I hoped so.  The clouds were building up and I did get a little rain but nothing drenching….and no snow despite the serious drop in temperature

Hopefully from here on out it will be downhill and warmer.

The ride down was indeed warming and a change in topography.  The land, canyons, mountains became more desert-ly….(is that a word??) and it got warm enough to remove the rain gear.  I reached another view point and was blown away with the vastness of this Utah state! 

I reflected back to 1977 when, as a young Captain, I flew a formation cross country with Major Don Henze in the lead, we were a pair of -28’s from MCAS El Toro flying through these canyons and enjoying the views. 
 
But I didn’t get to see and appreciate much of the views back then because (a) we were looking down on the canyons, and (b) I was dash -2, so my focus was on the lead following his turns, ascents and descents.  Seeing all of this from the ground was far more awe inspiring.

After leaving the view point I finally reached the Escalante area…again, everywhere you looked there were vistas and new land formations. Snoopy wanted to meditate upon the expanse in front of him….he said it helped expand his horizons (just what I need, a dog going Buddhist). While he was doing that I enjoyed my views, caught some photos, then when to get the mutt….and he was nowhere to be found. As I looked closer in the grass I found him wanting to play hide and seek. So I played with him a little, caught him as he headed to another bush, and tickled him as I got him back on Sophia.



 
I came across a section of road a few miles later that was very unique, it actual followed the ridge top for about a mile.  Each side of the road was a significant drop to a canyon floor bottom.


Miles later the road dropped into a canyon and then climbed over a ridge.  There was a turnout presenting a view of the canyon and of a building down below away from the road that I hadn’t seen when riding through it.


Entering the small town of Escalante from the east I noted a quick food place on the north of 12 but it had a waiting line.  So I decided to continue on the road and noted the Circle D Grill/Café on the south side.  It seemed a little more appetizing with a patio in the front section….maybe I can get some Mexican food here.  After making a U-Turn and approaching the front of the Circle D I saw five really nice Harleys parked there.  They were Softails and Dynas and were polished with gleaming chrome.  I imagined clean looking riders getting off of them and sitting inside.  I felt kinda road worn, so I parked Sophia on the other side of the building in a parking lot where she wouldn’t feel inferior with all her dust, grime, mud, dull paint and chrome…not to mention she felt like a pack mule with all the gear I’ve loaded her with.

Walking up the sidewalk I noticed a couple sitting at a high table.  The gentleman’s back was to me and I could see the lady he was sitting with.  She kinda gave me a slight smile as if to greet me but I looked away towards the entrance.

The waitress took me out onto the patio and waltzed me past the group of 6 bikers to a table next to theirs.  As I ws sitting down I asked, “Are those your Harley’s out front?”  After they acknowledged they were indeed their bikes I replied, “I hate you guys already!”  They laughed and I followed up with a “They’re so clean and shiny and pretty!  My Sophia was embarrassed to be seen next to them!” upon which I gave them a big grin.  We chatted, I ordered, we chatted a bit more.  They were mostly local and one of the ladies was from both the local area and from Scottsdale AZ.  I don’t think her boyfriend liked the fact that she was talking with me L.

They left and I sat there waiting for my order, noting the lady that had given me a half smile was sitting with her mate at a tall table on the other side of where the bikers were sitting.

The sun was shining and it was getting too warm so I repositioned to some tall tables by the double doorway and sat there with my water and worked my Droid for messages. 

When I briefly looked around I noted two guys sitting on the other side of the doorway.  One was overweight and the other was very skinny, wearing loud yellow suspenders. 

Skinny suspenders looks at me and pipes up “Are you a Hell’s Angel??”  I ignored him, and he asked me again.  So I responded, “No.” then the exchanges started…the guy wanted to either needle me or seriously entertain himself at someone else’s expense.  Some how he got onto that bikers clothing styles matched the type of bike they rode and he said, “Harley guys wear macho leather vests, chaps and boots, crotch rocket guys wear form fitting leather zip up suits, What would a motor scooter rider wear?”

“Suspenders”, I replied without skipping a beat.

His chubby partner almost choked laughing so hard on a mouthful of burger.

Then the lady that had smiled at me earlier and her guy finished eating, paid their bill and were walking past me to exit the restaurant and be on their way.  OMG! The guy was Steve! The German fella that had taken photos of me and Snoopy at the vista point!  I called to him and apologized to him for not recognizing him…and I didn’t see the lady during the photo session cuz she was sitting in the car. Darn! We could’ve had a great lunch together chatting about his bike riding adventures in Europe!  Can’t believe how much of a ditz I can be sometimes…..okay, most of the time L. 

With the 1/3 burger safely tucked away in my churn bucket I paid my bill, got back on Sophia, and continued heading west out of town on UT-12.  At the top of the next hill I stopped at another vista point and there was Steve and his bride.  So we got to chat a little after I explained to Steve’s lady that I hadn’t recognized him.  I took photo’s for them with their camera and thought I had done the same with mine but I can’t find a photo of them….oops.

Once back on the road it was steady throttle with no stopping.  It’s about 50 miles from Escalante to Bryce and I need to make it to Caliente, but I failed to notice my trip mileage when leaving the restaurant.  The Google Maps didn’t show any gas stations at the intersection of UT-12 and Bryce Rd.  So my plan was to get gas at the town before the Bryce Airport.  When I entered Cannonville I tanked up because I couldn’t remember if there was another station between here and Cedar City where I would stay if there wasn’t enough light to make it to Caliente NV. 

However, within about 6 miles later I entered Tropic and I remembered that as the last town before the Bryce Airport.  So I got a little bit of gas there to be the receipt for the SCMA, then headed to the intersection with the Bryce Rd.  When I got there I decided to go see Bryce after all instead of just heading straight on to Cedar.  And wouldn’t you believe it…there is a town there with gas stations, etc.  I could’ve saved about ½ hour just riding straight through without stopping at Tropic or Cannonville! 

I made it to the Park entrance and pulled into the parking area for some pics and saw 4 ladies snapping photos of each other at the Park sign.  I asked them if they would like a group photo taken of them.  Bingo! Right question!  While taking it I told them my fee was that they would have to pose for a photo with me and Snoopy…and they agreed of course…cuz the mongrel was posing with them J.


The ladies were all related and were visiting each other while touring Bryce.  Doris (FL), Norma (FL), Julia (FL) and Joyce (IL).  They were a hoot cracking witticisms with me.

From here I entered the park and headed for Inspiration to get some pics of Snoopy there.  This is quite an awe inspiring vista with all the hoodoos and colors.  And my camera wouldn’t function!  Not a single photo!  What the hell happened after taking the photos at the park sign???  I was perplexed and frustrated and headed back down the steps to the parking lot.  And things got worse!  As I was unscrewing the little tripod it broke at the top where it screws into the camera base.  That’s two things….what is going to be the third??

I headed out of the park and over to the little town of Bryce and pulled into the parking lot on top of the hill so I could review the maps and make sure of my direction.  The plan is to continue west on UT-12 then south on US-89 then west on UT-14 into Cedar.  From Cedar, if there is enough light, I’ll head west on UT-56 into NV where it becomes NV-319 then south on US-93 into Caliente.  Total trip will be about 175 miles…with 75 of it jetting to Cedar City.  Weather is a little cool, but clear.  Cumulus clouds bearing potential rain are north of me.  I’ll keep the rain gear on cuz UT-14 climbs over the mountains and I’m sure it’ll get cold.  With the maps put away, Cedar in the Garmin, I fired Sophia up, headed out of the parking lot and, with Bryce Canyon in my mirrors, promised myself to return for a complete tour of this gorgeous area.. 

US-89 flowed between Bryce Canyon on the East and Dixie Forest/mountains on the west.  Soon I was climbing thru the densely treed mountains of Dixie Forest, past Duck Creek Village and then higher up to where it was getting very cold!  My hands were freezing again but I didn’t want to stop.  I figured I could handle it for another 15 miles or so until I descended on the other side into warmer air.  Despite the cold, I enjoyed this ride on UT-14.  This was another piece of Utah that one normally doesn’t see, with trees everywhere, no people and no traffic.  The road was excellent and if I remember correctly there were a number of nice curves but only one pair of switchbacks as I began the descent. 

At Cedar I tanked up again just in case, took a break and drank a coke, and since it was only 6:30 pm I decided to continue so I called the Shady Inn in Caliente for a reservation.  Garmin got me onto UT-56 and I settled in Sophia’s comfortable seat for the expected 100 mile ride.  The road took me west towards the Nevada desert but it was a gentle transition as the trees disappeared but much shrubbery remained in sight.  Darkness settled in and I still was not at the NV border….I need to get used to the shorter days and keep tabs on sunset times.  There was one small town on this road, Modena, and it was about 1-2 miles to the south of the highway.  In the very dim light I could vaguely see the dim outlines of small buildings but only a few lights were on.  Either there’s no one living there or they all hit the sack very early!

The NV border finally showed up in total darkness…..I decided to make a pit stop at the roadside turnoff there, on the Nevada side.  I mention this because the whole time traveling there had been no oncoming cars and none following me.  So what the heck?  I should be able to make a pit stop on the side of the road at night with no one to see, right?  Wrong!  Within seconds after beginning my business I heard the sound of a motorcycle coming from NV.  Damn!  Then the headlights appeared before I finished and fortunately I had my bike lights on and the bike shielding me from view.  The riders were a man and woman on an Electroglide and they waved as they went by.  I did the same to them and, DAMN, the guy stopped and turned around!   Pulling up beside Sophia they looked over the bike to me and asked if all was ok….”Yep, all’s fine, just had to make a pit stop,” I replied.  They laughed, turned around, and continued on into Utah.  Man….I just seem to have the best of synchronicity for these things don’t I?  But it was good to know there were some potential good Samaritans out on the night road.  Guess this was the 3rd thing to go wrong today :).
 
At the intersection of 319 and 93 I stopped briefly to stretch and then continued riding the remaining 15 miles to Caliente where I easily found the Shady Inn.  The room was nice and clean and they had good towels.  But I couldn’t negotiate a reduction in their $65 fee.  Because of the late hour I promptly went down the road to a gas station/grease pit and picked up a grilled chicken sandwich for dinner and headed back to the motel. 
While eating and sipping I plugged the camera in to recharge the battery; within a few minutes the orange indicator turned green, i.e., all charged.  But still no display.  I started just pushing the various buttons on the back and suddenly it turned on!  It appears that the user has to select using the digital display or putting ones’ eye to the viewfinder.  This button switches between the two.  When I was at Bryce Canyon I must have touched this button and the camera went into viewfinder mode…..and I never thought of looking into the viewfinder.  Guess this old dog can learn new tricks J.
Today was a long day.  Only 300 miles but there were many stops, sights to see, and photos to take…along with a whizz on dark nights’ roadside.
C ya mañana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Cell: 949-433-0761

No comments:

Post a Comment