Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Four Missions and One National Park

October 19, 2012
Port Hueneme CA

Today was a ‘Butt’ haulin’ day trying to accomplish visiting these places and making it to Port Hueneme Naval Base sleeping quarters.

The quarters provided at Vandenberg were pretty good, similar to a three story motel suite.  I got a good night’s rest not worrying about the bike parked out in the lot in front of the quarters.  Hey, I’m on a military base….my bike is safe from theft!  (that was a bit of cynicism!) Breakfast was coffee and pastry then out on the road heading for Mission La Purisima. 

Heading out of the Base it was a straight shot south on CA-1 until reaching the outskirts of Lompoc where I hung a left onto 246 which would take me directly by the Mission.   But then I almost missed it…at the last second I noticed a sign for the State Park….say what? A State Park? 

Yep, La Purisima Mission, along with Mission San
Francisco de Solano, are both State Parks.  To enter one must pay a $5 Park entry fee.  Anyhow, Snoopy got a photo taken with Ranger Ann and Volunteer Sheryl.  Then it was a bit of a hike in the park to reach the grounds and capture me and Snoop in a spot similar to what the SCMA has in its Passport book.
 



 
Next stop was Mission Santa Innes located in Solvang only a few miles away and also
on CA-246.  Upon arriving a funeral was in progress so I was unable to get a photo directly in front of the church to replicate the passport. 

So I did the next best thing taking one as close as possible and also got photo’s taken with Volunteers Carol and Robert in front of the gift shop. 


Mission Santa Barbara was next on the list and I was expecting to be directed by Garmin to return to 101 but Garmin didn’t do that.  Instead the directions took me to CA-154, the
Chumash Hwy/San Marcos Pass Rd, along Lake Cachuma and into the north end of SB.  This was an absolutely delightful ride through the country on a very nice road without the stress of congestion that would’ve been encountered on 101.  Also, it brought me directly into the Mission through the SB communities.  Snoopy got his photo with Elizabeth (we’re not sure of our memory on her name) and then one out front. 



Entering Ventura was a bit of a surprise.  I was expecting a huge city with a lot of congestion but it was just the opposite.  Finding Mission San Buenaventura was also easy.  You just exit Main St. off of 101 and there’s the Mission!  Photo ops were


limited at this mission since everything is located inside.  So Cristina, a young lady working in the restaurant directly across from the Mission, snapped this photo for me and also took one with Snoopy behind the bar.  I think this is Zoey’s Café. 




Inside the gift shoppe Lourdes posed with Snoop.









The last objective of the day was to visit the Channel Islands NP which is also located here in Ventura.  And this is where I dropped Sophia for the 7th time!  This was very lame for sure.  Approaching the Parks building I found it at the end of Spinnaker Drive ending in a loop.  I pulled into a driveway entrance expecting it to lead to parking but had to stop because it was for maintenance vehicles.  As I tried to back Sophia onto the road I lost the balance when the front tire slipped off the driveway’s edge where it meets the slanted part of the road.  All I could do was follow her gently down onto the pavement, darn it!  Fortunately there were a couple of Rangers nearby and they helped get Sophia upright.

Inside I Ranger Bill and Volunteer Bonnie posed with Snoopy. 











Then Ranger Jessica came outside to sit on Sophia and catch a photo.










Surprisingly all the objectives were met today!  Wow!  Sure seemed easy J.  From here I headed through Oxnard and into the Navy Construction Battalion Center (SeaBees) at Port Hueneme to spend the night before heading further south.

The Summer Ride is inching closer to the finish line….will be home mañana.
C ya mañana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Cell: 949-433-0761

No comments:

Post a Comment