Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Day 3: Cold, Long, and Too Dark

September 2, 2012
Trout Creek WY


Got up around 5am, loaded the bike and was on the road by 6:30am.  In the Little America parking lot it was chilly, but not excessive.  Regardless, I put on the layers, leathers, raingear/windbreakers, heavy gloves and face mask.

But it was to no avail.

The intended route was to depart Little America west on I-80 for a few miles and exit at US-30 north to WY240 to connect onto US189 towards Jackson Hole.  I am so glad that I was dressed for the worst….because the cold started to show up with a chilling effect upon my left wrist.  Riding over a few hills I could see far into the distance what seemed to be very low clouds or fog.  Later I was to find both (what’s the difference??).

When I did enter the fog the air temperature seemed to get colder around La Barge.  BTW, it was along this route that I saw my first antelope.  The animal was about 30 feet off the side of the road watching me as I slowly approached.  After I past it I saw it in the mirror bounding across the road. Between La Barge and Big Piney I continued to get more and more chilled. Luckily at Big Piney there was a gas station for me to pull into. And it was a good thing that I did stop because as I dismounted from the bike my knees almost gave out….I was seriously cold!

The station had a quasi-food and grocery store arrangement and about 5 locals were sitting at one of the tables drinking coffee and discussing local stuff.  They kinda looked at me like, “look what the cold brought in”!  You have to imagine the image I portrayed in bike gear covered by rain gear with a face mask.  I gave a good morning greeting to those making eye contact with me and headed to the coffee dispenser and the hot sandwich display.  I needed food to warm up….as well as the coffee.  While munching on the egg/ham croissant and drinking the coffee I noticed other riders rolling by….they didn’t seem as affected by the cold as I was.  (Which means they were wearing the proper gear that kept them warm!)

The locals told me that the fog should disappear within another 2 miles north of town so about 30 minutes later I ventured back onto US189.  They were right…..but they must not go more than two miles north of town because about another 5 miles later I was back in the fog and dealing with the cold. 

When I reached Bondurant I saw some bikers coming onto the highway from a café so I turned into the parking gravel parking area and went inside.  I could feel that it was getting warmer….but the chill factor was still having it’s affect upon me.  Later I would remember that I had the winter gloves in my camping gear that would have been perfect to keep my hands warm!

In Bondurant I nursed the coffee cup a lot and also had some toast with peanut butter.  I just wanted a place to sit and warm up.  But I also revisited the map, given that I had lost so much time and was now faced with a 700+ day to get to Trout Creek, to determine an alternate plan.  It was easy to see that there was no way I could reach Trout Creek at a decent hour…I needed to get on faster moving roads.  US26 was about 10-15 miles south of the turnoff for US20 which was the planned route.  And US26 would get me to Idaho Falls where I could then connect to I-15 and make a high speed dash up to county road 278 heading for Wisdom MT, the next checkpoint.

I made great time on US26 being able to ride at much faster speeds that what the planned route would have allowed me to do.  Once on I-15 I hauled away at 85 mph nervously watching for HP’s.  County or Ranch Road 278 turned out to be an excellent road and I was able to run at 70-75 all the way to Wisdom.  While checking in I noticed a lot of riders relaxing and chatting and one fellow had his bike seat off working on his electrical system….seems he was unable to fully turn the bike off. 

I didn’t waste any time there as I still had to get to Trout Creek where my hotel reservation was paid for whether I was there or not.  The planned route was to head west on road 43 to US-93 north into Missoula…where I had previously been for the Lolo Pass ride of the 15 Best.  I knew that it would take more time riding that route so instead, I headed east on 43 to get back onto I-15 towards Missoula at a faster speed.  Current ETA at Lakeside Motel & Resort in Trout Creek put me there at around 10pm.  Not to my liking as now I would have to ride part of ID-200 in the dark and this was the road I wanted to be on to check it out for future fly fishing.  Darn it!

When I got into Missoula I stopped to tank up near where the Harley store is and gave a quick call to the motel/resort to assure them of my arrival around 10pm.  They warned me to ride with the high beams on and be alert for deer, etc.

Long story short, had to ride at 50 mph to assure good reaction if a quick stop were needed. Couldn’t see the river but did see a number of signs indicating fishing locales, and safely made it to the motel about 9:45.

The room there was very nice and on the Lake…I think this would be a good spot for future fishing trips.

I gotta stop doing these crazy runs in the dark L.
C ya mañana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Email: GonzoCrossUSA@gmail.com
Cell: 949-433-0761

No comments:

Post a Comment