Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Sikh and Mt. Ranier

June 25, 2011
Mt. Ranier

G’Mornin,
            The Harley Gods are smiling upon me.  Not a cloud in the western Washington sky! 
Riding over a hill on SE 240th St I noticed a Sikh walking along the sidewalk.  He struck quite a figure with his turban, full beard, and erect posture of a healthy life.
Once SE 240th St became country the ride became a total joy.  The road takes the senses thru some beautiful county, fragrant hills and turns; I was disappointed when it finally T-boned into WA 169 at Maple Valley where I turned south and headed for Enumclaw, 15 miles away.  But 169 turned out to also be a pleasant ride with little traffic.   
Having been on the road for about 45 min I decided to make a stop at the first traffic light and pulled into a small parking lot at the corner of 169 and Griffith.  Again, luck was with me, we were at the store front of the Plateau Expresso, a coffee shop owned and operated by Nancy (my mother’s name).  Nancy fixed up delicious lattes for Susan and me.  We sat outside and I reviewed the map route for our run around Ranier that would begin at this point. 

Susan Rogalla has graciously volunteered to teach me how to ride 2 up, so she is accompanying me on this ride as both trainer and guide.  Susan is a Speech Therapist in one of the greater Seattle School districts and is well known for her success with autistic children, as well as children with other developmental challenges, in getting them to begin speaking and to develop their communication skills.  She’s also a patriot, and spends weekends at the soldiers home assisting older military veterans with speech problems encountered from strokes, etc.
Sipping and reflecting on the Sikh I saw earlier, I recalled the good fortune that befell me in Thailand where I met my first Sikh in 1966 or so.  I was on an R&R to Bangkok and decided to take a tour to see the Bridge on the River Kwai.  I enjoyed the tour but wanted to be more engaged in seeing the country.  So, I asked the tour guide if bus service was available from a small town I wanted to walk to about 3-5 miles away.  He said the last bus departed around 8 pm, plenty of time for me to explore this country.
Happily walking down the dirt hwy for about a mile I noticed a vespa coming from the other direction.  Sitting proudly upon it was a gentleman with a turban and full beard.  I waved as he passed and he returned my greeting.  But a few seconds later I heard the engine slow down; looking back I could see that he had turned around and was heading back towards me.  When he arrived beside me he shut the engine and politely inquired, in perfect British English, to where was I heading.  “To catch the bus at the next town”, I replied.  “Oh sir” he said, “There are no buses from that town…you must go to xxxx town about 15 km away to catch a bus to Bangkok, and the last one departs in about 1 hour!”  “Hmm, well guess I’ll get a hotel room and go back in the morning” I said.  “Oh sir, that is not possible!  There are no hotels in that town, and it is not good to be walking on the hwy leading there.  Come, get on the back of my scooter and I will take you there so you can catch the last bus.”  So off we went together on the Vespa, chatting with him I learned that he was from India and that he was a Sikh.  And once we arrived he neither accepted my offer to buy gas nor to have dinner.  It was his pleasure to be of service he stated, and he must get back to his family.  It felt good to recall that good fortune I had in ‘66.
Pulling out onto Griffith and riding thru the town to join the 410 I could see all the local small downtown shops of Enumclaw….I don’t have the words to describe the feeling I had for seeing this part of Americana….but it is heart warming.  Later, in two more days of riding, I was to learn that all the towns I rode thru were very appealing in their own unique Washington way.
The ride on 410 was exciting.  Ascending and descending, left n right turns, huge trees lining the road, water everywhere…seemingly pouring out of the solid rock mountain sides!  So different from SoCAL, AZ, NM and west TX.  About 40 miles later, at the junction of 410 & 123 I decided to leave the 410 that was now lined with huge snow banks, and not continue on to Naches, but instead to take the 123 to continue down to the 12 and head for Morton, then South Prarie, return thru Enumclaw, and head back to quarters.  Ultimately it was a good decision as the ride, tho absolutely thrilling and enjoyable, became a 200 mile ride terminating around 11p when I finally arrived back. 
The experience of riding these roads was fantastic, but most awe inspiring was the beauty of Mt Ranier that only became visible 4 times when there was a break in either the trees or the mountains that blocked viewing the snow peaked beauty.  What made these 4 sightings special is that each view was from one of the four different compass points.  What a magnificent mountain!  And what a beautiful country to ride in.  I hope that my run tomorrow will be as exciting.
I think I am a little superstitious.  I think seeing the Sikh before the run was an omen of a good, safe trip.  I thank Sikh’s everywhere for the prayers they extend towards all mankind and for their service to all, and a very special "Thank You" to that gentle Sikh I met in Thailand so many years ago. 
I suspect he saved me from much discomfort.
C ya mañana
Gonzo
twitter:  @GonzoCrossUSA
email: gonzocrossusa@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment