Sunday, June 19, 2011

Stitches

June 19, 2011
Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there….but a special wish to Landon, my favorite son-in-law…..moot point that he is my only son-in-law.  He’s quite a guy; good husband,  good son, and super papa to my two grand daughters (gd’s).  Made me a happy man by marrying my daughter and then making me a grandpa.  Cool.
I’m reflecting on my morning while waiting for the Doc to remove the stitches.  Stitches, now there is a word allowing itself to a variety of uses.  In this case, sutures. The back of my hand has 10 sutures that found their way there by the expertise of Doc Elpedes of the Lake Forest Urgent Care.  All due to a poor toss I made trying to chuck a 2x4 into the truck bed for a trip to the San Clemente dump.  The end of the stud caught the back of my hand and bestowed some medieval punishment upon it.  Had I lowered the hand a stitch in time I would’ve saved getting 9.

Anyhow, daughter cooked up my fav breakfast…scrambled eggs with chilis, onions, and tomatoes.  Only this time I think she sneaked some raw garlic into the mix.  Landon and gd #1 (5 yr old) went to the Bagel Shop and picked up bagels for everyone.  I got the jalapeno n cheese, gd#1 got the blueberries.  Then my daughter and I had breakfast together.
We chatted about the tile selection for the MBath that I gutted for remodeling.  Hence the source of the outlaw stud being tossed.  I am continuing the contemporary theme started in the kitchen, tho I am introducing a hint of Japanese into the design with multicolored oval stones on the shower floor.  She’s helping me select the tile as well as search for other style hints that I could subtly stitch into the overall appearance of the room.
My son, video game project lead in Austin, mailed me a really cool card with an assortment of “Thanks For:” statements that he could checkmark as applicable.  The card was enclosed in a small book titled “MYDAD: His Stories, His Words”.  It has a question on each blank page for me to answer .  E.g., “Dad, what was your favorite pet”, and, “Dad, How did you and Mom meet”, etc.  Kinda capturing tidbits of my life a stitch at a time.
After breakfast Landon and I discussed then watched, some of the US Open in play at the Congressional.  I’m impressed with three players.  Young McIlroy of course is the main attention getter.  He held his composure yesterday to take an 8 stroke lead into today’s final round.  But the other two, future major hopefuls, are Cantlay and Henley.  These two amateurs are 19 and 22 respectively and have made the cut to play Sat and Sun with the big boys.  I’ll especially have to keep an eye on Cantlay as he is a Bruin (UCLA).  Anyhow, McIlroy’s got the Congressional purse pretty well stitched up!
As I was getting ready to leave I heard my two Columbia MFA kids counterpointing remarks on whether or not the dishes in the dishwasher were clean, “You’re all wet”, “No, I pushed the buttons last nite”, “Soap is still in the dispenser”. 
I had so many laughs this morning that I rode away on Sophia to have the sutures removed from the hand but feeling a stitch in my side.
C ya mañana
Gonzo

No comments:

Post a Comment