Friday, June 28, 2013

Day 16: June 17th, Salina KS

Departure out of Paducah was around 8am.  My goal was to reach motels somewhere along KS24 on my way to Lebanon.  This would position me close to Lebanon for an easy ride on the country roads 24 and 181.

Once again the ride through Illinois along I-24, 57 and 64 went pretty quick and was uneventful.  St. Louis was reached and I seemed to hit a time when traffic was building up.  On one of the interchanges a car almost ran into me as it merged from lane 5 to lane 1.  I saw it merging and knew the driver wasn’t looking and was going too fast for the traffic.  I started merging left into the fast lane to avoid the car and was honking my horn and still had to hit the brakes so he or she wouldn’t hit me.  Driver was totally oblivious!

The clouds had been building up all day and somewhere between Kansas City and Topeka the skies finally released their rain.  By the time I reached Salina it was late and I decided to get a motel instead of risking the ride in the dark along KS24 searching for a motel.

This will make tomorrow’s ride a little harder.  A full 105 miles to Lebanon, pics, stops and then 110 miles back to Salina and then heading northeast towards Maine.

Although riding distance today was 635 miles, I am still concerned reaching Madawaska in under 21 days.
C ya mañana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Email: GonzoCrossUSA@gmail.com
Cell: 949-433-0761
LiveViewGPS: 70.169.216.3/specialevent.aspx?cid=liveviewgps&login=gonzo.ronald@live.com&pwd=7082

No comments:

Post a Comment