Friday, June 28, 2013

Day 19: June 20th, Apple Pie and Country Roads

Slept in a little this morning.  It was so quiet, the bed so comfy, the air from the open windows was so fresh, and I was having a great dream when I heard my hosts calling me to wake up!  Wow, yesterday really tired me!

We had a wonderful breakfast then it was loading the bike and a goodbye hug from Carol and Bob and I were on our way down the road.  We were riding to another town to meet up with Paul, Bob’s riding buddy, and then Bob took us out on a country ride (OH172) leading me to US-11 that would take me to I-80 East.  While riding to meet Paul I kept reflecting on how fortunate I am that two friends hosted me in style for a night, recharged my batteries with warm friendship, and got me safely on my way towards my final destination!

Bob’s country ride was Hwy 172 through the beautiful Ohio countryside.  The road was in excellent shape for being a farm road and gently followed the undulating and curving hills.  We rode through a few small towns, past farms, country homes, dairy farms…..an absolute thrill for me after so many days of riding the interstate slabs.

We were passing through a small town, I think it was Lisbon, and Bob pointed out a diner called Steel Trolley Diner, a 50’s style diner.  We stopped there to get some pie and coffee and to chat a bit because 2 miles out of town they would be waving goodbye to me and sending me north on US11. 



I’m so glad we stopped at the Steel Trolley!  We had a great time chatting, laughing and joking with patrons and waitresses, and thoroughly enjoyed our Apple Dumpling Pie and coffee.  Before leaving, our waitress Chris took a photo for us and then posed with me for a pic (she's very serious).  It was a great way to end our ride through the country side!


US 11 quickly got me to I-80 and then I settled down for the long, beautiful ride through PA.  I-80 is a wonderful scenic ride not often found on Interstates.  I put it in the category of Utah’s I-84 and the west side of WY’s I-80.  It travels through some of the most beautiful countryside and mountain views in the country! 

On the East side of PA I picked up I-81 towards Scranton and then cut over east on I-84 through NY between Albany and NYC and into CT.

A few miles into CT I pulled into the Bethel/Danbury Days Inn I stayed at last year and called it a night  The day’s ride was only 543 miles but it put me 620 away from Madawaska…..I can make that!
C ya mañana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Email: GonzoCrossUSA@gmail.com
Cell: 949-433-0761
LiveViewGPS: 70.169.216.3/specialevent.aspx?cid=liveviewgps&login=gonzo.ronald@live.com&pwd=7082

No comments:

Post a Comment