Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A Glorious Tribute for the 4th !

July 4th, 2011 Irving, CA
Verizon Amphitheater   

What a day!   And a family day at that!  It started off with watching my grand daughter #1 (gd#1, 5 yrs old going on 18) jump of the diving board into the deep end of the club’s pool then swimming over to the side.  She did this about 3,786 times (+/- 3,700).  A year ago we could only get her into the wading pool.  Hats off to Waterworks Aquatics located here in Irvine (also located in Beverly Hills and Carlsbad).  They have superb swim instructors whose goals are to teach children how to swim…..and they have succeeded immensely with gd#1 !
            Back home was a hot dog lunch courtesy of my daughter then off on Lil’ Baby (’99 Harley Dyna Low Rider) to take care of a number of errands, and a good excuse to go for a short ride.  Around 4 pm I got a little hungry so I treated myself to an In-N-Out hamburger with onion and chiles at the El Toro Rd stand.  Chatted briefly with a gentleman heading back to San Diego after visiting some friends up in LA.  Now there’s a switch….I thot only LA and OC people traveled down to SD….not the other way ‘round.
            Had to get home to shower and dress up for a fun night with the family…..my son-in-law acquired tickets to the Pacific Symphony’s “A Symphonic Tribute to Elvis Presley” and I had decided to go with them.  Altho I had reservations of being in the crowded place and yadayada, it was time for me to get out and have some time with the family.  I am so glad that I did…..had a blast of a time.
            There were many thrills encountered this 4th.  First, I got to stand next to the Camp Pendleton Marine Honor Guard as they awaited their call to march thru the audience onto the stage.  I was doing the typical Marine thing…getting a bottle of wine for Landon and I to partake during the show.  Heading up the ramp to return to my seat with my prize bottle I got stopped by security to wait for the Marine Guard to present the Flag.  Hence, I got to stand right next to them while they waited and then wish them “Semper Fi Marines!” as they marched forward thru the audience.  These Marines did a flawless presentation of the colors...and the audience awarded them with applause, admiration and appreciation.


The next thrill was listening to the Pacific Symphony perform.  Then to watch the symphony accompany Tom Demer playing country fiddle to the absolute delight of the audience.  Mr. Demer, in addition to being a good ol’ Texan fiddler, is a bonafide classical violinist with the Dallas Symphony.  Wow….did he ever do the best fiddlin n pluckin ever!
            During intermission I looked over the audience and noticed a handsome couple sitting in the row behind me.  The gentleman and his lady seemed to be by themselves and relatively reserved.  I couldn’t resist going over and introducing myself and wanting to get to know them.  Wow…was I in for a wonderful surprise.  Elvin (hope this is spelled correcty) Klein was the gentleman’s name and his sweetheart was Alice.  He is a bona fide hero in America’s book.  This man was a Navy Seal in the old Navy…..WWII and Korea; was at Inchon when the Marines landed there.  When he stated that I wished I had paid more attention to my Marine Corps history for that era.  Alice told me a few stories of their travels, notably cruising Alaska and Elvin getting a chance to fly co-pilot in a sea plane. 
            We had to interrupt our chatting, tho I really wanted to hear Elvin tell me of his escapades, but the symphony was resuming with Elvis (Kraig Parker).  So I resumed my seat and was provided the final thrill of the evening….watching gd#1 bounce and wiggle and scream with total delight over all the Elvis songs sang that night.  It’s amazing how Elvis has such an affect upon girls of all ages!
            Yes it was quite a night.  The fireworks were stupendous! But as the show ended, I noticed Elvin and Alice quickly departing trying to avoid the exit rush and surely to avoid me wanting to talk the night away with them.
            Later at home, relaxing with a cup of tea, I reflected on what all our country is and what many of our men and women serving in the military have accomplished for our country.  I reflected on our current events, the events of Iraq and Afghanistan, of our first Middle East involvement in Kuwait War and liberation from Saddam, of our tumultuous time in Vietnam, of Korea and then back to WWII.  My father was in WWII…hell, I’m a war baby.  Were it not for those brave men and women of WWII I can’t even begin to imagine what earth’s political geography would be today. 
It is because of men like Elvin that we won that war, and men and women throughout the globe knowing they may only have a day to live yet they continued on with their responsibilities both at the front, in support at the rear, and back home with many sacrifices. 
The only thing I can add to a “Thank you Elvin and thank you Alice” is a “Thank you Dad, and thank you Mom”.
Wow, what an evening!
Semper Fi
C ya mañana
Gonzo
twitter:  @GonzoCrossUSA

No comments:

Post a Comment