Sunday, September 16, 2012

Choteau Door Thumper

August 23, 2012
Choteau MT

Despite getting to bed late last night and eating a very late burger I still slept well and awoke at a decent hour to partake in the EconoLodge continental breakfast.

While loading Sophia I met a husband and wife that were suited up to continue their ride on their BMW’s (at least I think they were BMW’s…I gotta learn what these bikes look like!).  They were Hal and Jeannette Bishop…and of course, I failed to note where they were from, arrrggghhh!

And then a few minutes later a Canadian couple stopped by to admire (secretly laugh) the rack Sophia has J.  They were Kevin Cooper and Katherine Sabine from Alberta Canada. 

Heading out of Billings on I-90 the road presented some strong headwinds…sure made the ride interesting.  I pushed the speed to 85 mph for the leg to exit 256 to catch the MT-69.  Yes it would have been a little shorter probably if I had taken the exit for US-287….but that seemed so lacking in variation J. 

Not much to say about I-90…just running a slab.  But the winds and some of the views did make it interesting.  MT69 was a nice road, two laned, and easy to ride through the Montana ranches and hills.  This road saved some distance as it was like taking the hypotenuse instead of the legs of the triangle.  It brought me out on I-15 heading towards Helena and my ultimate destination of Wolf Creek.  Which is where I tanked up then went one more exit to catch the US-287 north towards St. Mary.  St. Mary is the entry point to the Glacier National Park in which the Road to the Sun is located.  This is my next ride from the Best 15 Rides in the USA.  Another alternative would have been to stay on the I-15 all the way to Shelby, considerably north of Great Falls, then head west on US-2 into Browning, my goal for the day’s ride.  But it turned out best that I didn’t take this route.

The 287 was a good road to take.  Some wind was encountered along with a few rough spots….but overall a good road.  Around 6:30pm or so I arrived in Choteau and was concerned over being able to reach Browning, some 75 miles further, before nightfall.  Deciding to tank up I pulled into a local food Mart/Gas Station and after refueling went into the store for a soft drink.  I noticed 4 Harley riders sitting over to the side of the building and they looked like they were traveling.  Needing some intel, I asked them which direction were they heading….turned out they were heading south as they had just come from the Park through Browning. Ahh, perfect!  I asked them about Browning and the availability of motels.  They highly suggested that I get a motel in Choteau and start early in the morning to ride the Sun Road.  Seems that Browning has limited motel facilities.  With that, I went two blocks away and got a room at the Alta Vista mom and pop, park your bike at the door motel and got a room.  Dinner was a well-dressed sandwich with chips and a coke….(my diet is going more south as I head north!). 
 

While unloading Sophia two more bikers from AZ rolled in to the motel.  JB was on an Ultra Classic and his friend Yoda was riding one of these highly aerodynamic models made by Victory Motorcycles.  They are both vets, belong to a Vet MC out of NM and are heading to the west coast to ride the PCH south out of Monterrey.  Along their way out there they wanted to bag the Road to the Sun.  Returning to the room later with my sandwich I saw them walking along the road to the café so we chatted briefly and they told me of a breakfast spot for us in the AM.

About an hour later I’m sitting in my hotel room’s easy chair working on the blogs and chatting on the phone with my brother, when there is a heavy hand thumping on my door!  Some guy is standing out there looking totally bent out of shape!  Hmmm, I opened the door and this guy starts yelling at me, “You gotta move your bikes outa my parking spot…I’ve been working hard all day and I get here to my room and your bikes are in my spot!!”

I couldn’t believe this nuthead.  So I calmly explained to him that those weren’t my bikes…Mine in in front of my room under the window.  “Well where are your friends?  I’ve been banging on their door and they’re not here. You MF’s just get in from Sturgis? I’ve seen you guys all over the place!”

“Whoa!  That’s enough big guy…and why are you yelling?  Like I said, these aren’t my bikes, they aren’t my friends, and you can walk down to the café and discuss it with them.”  Fortunately, end of conversation because I wasn’t sure how much more of his infantile tirade I was going to tolerate.  That was my excitement for the evening.

A quick check of the weather channel didn’t tell me much.  Decided to call it a night and took a shower.

Yeah, and as usual, I took my blade and hatchet out of my duffel bag, unsheathed them, set them nearby and then went to sleep…sometimes there are worse things than bear and snake out here in the wild.
C ya mañana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Email: GonzoCrossUSA@gmail.com
Cell: 949-433-0761

No comments:

Post a Comment