Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Riding a Night Time Road

August 27, 2012
Montrose CO

Woke up early and found that the power came on some time during the night so my cell phone and computer got charged.  After loading the bike I tanked up at the Shell station and then began the long hard ride to Montrose CO to be positioned for the US 550 USA Best 15 Ride Challenge tomorrow.

The ride only got slowed down once on the early leg where the I-84 splits from the I-86 and angles southeast towards the UT border.  This is a long stretch of road without any service for about 50-60 miles.  About 35 miles into that stretch I noticed a rider on the side of the road, looked like he was on a Triumph.  I pulled in behind him and found that he was out of gas.  I told him I could help as I had a spare tank of gas and he gratefully accepted…but I sensed some hesitation.  I repositioned Sophia in front of his bike, dismounted, and while keeping an eye on him, began unstrapping the net stretched over my bags.  He came over to tell me that he had started with a full tank but that he had left the choke or fuel control or something wide open and that resulted in a high consumption rate of fuel.  Didn’t make sense to me at the time and I noted it for future research.  Then he told me that he had a tow truck on its way from Snowville bringing him gas and felt he should wait for it and not ‘stiff’ the driver.  I agreed with him, re-strapped the netting and took off contemplating chokes, rich vs lean settings, fuel flow, yadayada, with no clear understanding of what could take place with an open choke.  Oh well, definitely will check into it later.

I-84 finally joined the I-15 around Tremonton and I began the long ride through the urban world.  Traffic density began increasing a few miles north of Brigham and got heavier heading into Ogden, Salt Lake City and Provo.  The ride was rough…sections of road under construction with sections that should be under construction, traffic that should be flowing at 55mph but goes at the 70+ pace of the city rush, unpredictable drivers who suddenly make lane changes without using blinkers, drivers who drift out of their lanes, and many more dangers to the motorcyclist.  I am unsettled riding in urban and suburban areas now…much time has been spent in the country roads and hills were the air is clearer.

It was relieving when the exit for US-6 finally arrived in my view once south of Provo.  US-6 is a road that I have previously been on.  Last year riding out of Moab  I had a magnificent ride south of Salt Lake off of the I-15 on the US6 connecting to the I-70.  The road alternated between widely median separated lanes to joint lanes.  It climbed between medium high ranges and dipped into valleys, very picturesque…..I would like to ride this road again and enjoy it more….but I had to get to Montrose so my focus was on the road since I was doing in excess of 80 mph.  What is most interesting is that I rode this highway last year in complete darkness, unable to enjoy the views.  And here I am again in daylight able to enjoy the views but choosing to only minimally do so because of my speed and focus on a destination.  This is not my preferred way to ride these highways….but will be so for the time being.

Finally arrived at Green River just off the I-70.  Searched for and found the gas station where I had tanked up last year.  It is a local and not a chain, i.e. Chevron, Shell, etc.  It is named Shady Acres I think, and has a small café and store in addition to the gas, again, my kinda place to support the local economy and not the national chains which have sucked up a lot of my hard earned retirement funds!  I got a fountain coke and then filled the thirsting Sophia ‘til we both were satisfied. J.

Then off onto the I-70 to Grand Junction and the US50 south to Montrose.  This was a totally uneventful ride until I reached Montrose.  Now I had to find a motel.  I selected the Affordable Inns which had a decent rate for a clean appearing motel.  After renting the room, having a cup of their lobby coffee, unloading Sophia, walking across the road to Safeway and getting soup and a sandwich, I called it a night.

It would be nicer to be riding without the pressure of deadlines as I feel the pressure of needing to get to Springerville AZ to finish the US-191 ride and make it in time to El Paso for the Three Flags Classic check-in.

But I am appreciative of being able to ride these roads in the daylight this time and seeing the unique beauty of this part of Utah.  
C ya mañana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Email: GonzoCrossUSA@gmail.com
Cell: 949-433-0761

No comments:

Post a Comment