Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Lolo Pass/Friend From Past

August 25, 2012
Lewiston ID


The morning was cold, I could feel it into my bones as I walked outside at 8am with a cup of the motel’s continental breakfast coffee in my hand.  The sun was up in the clear sky but the earth wasn’t warming the air currents yet. Sipping the coffee I concluded it tasted good so went back into the breakfast lounge to have some more along with a warm waffle.  Perhaps engage in conversation with other travelers if there are any lively ones bent on such a morning activity.

There weren’t.  Sometimes I gain some info about the highway ahead
of me.  Sometimes I learn something about current events or about where they originated and to where they are going.  But not this morning.  Everyone was wrapped into their own thoughts or busy controlling kids or jockeying to get a pastry before they all disappeared. A few had heaps of various breads, plastic wrapped pastries and donuts in front of them.  I passed on the waffle.  Toasted an English Muffin instead, put peanut butter on it, added more coffee to the cup, and headed back to my room to start loading Sophia while taking a munch and a sip.

Lolo turned out to basically be around the corner, perhaps less than 10 miles.  I tanked up, got my gas receipt proof of visit, and rode towards the Pass.  Initially the road was lined with a few homes here and there, or ranches, and then it pretty much became an all steep hilled and tree lined road.  It was a two lane highway mostly…actually, I don’t recall more than two but there must have been some climbs and descents that had three lanes.

It seemed like only 30 miles later I came upon a Visitor’s Center and decided to pull in to remove the rain gear and face mask and also eat the other half of my subway sandwich that wasn’t finished at dinner last night.

Parking Sophia next to another BMW I noticed its riders getting off and greeted them.  While chatting and learning about each other we came to find out that we’re both from SoCal and that we both worked in East Anaheim at the Rockwell International Division!  What a small world!

Below is the pic of Duane Shortridge and his sweetheart Jeanette with me at the sign of Lolo Pass.

Back out on the highway I continued west and passed through a couple of small towns before arriving at Kooskia.  Actually, I didn’t see the town but saw a roadside fruitstand with a parking area behind it.  Pulling into the parking area I inquired of the two ladies at the fruit stand if there were any gas stations nearby.  They told me there was one in Kooski (no ‘ah’ sound in it) and that the town was located on the other side of the bridge from the parking lot as well as another station 7 miles down the road at Kamiah. I went over the bridge but didn’t immediately see the station so I turned around and headed for Kamiah….and probably paid more per gallon L.

This highway is on the list as one of the USA 15 Best Rides Challenge and although it is a beautiful ride through the Idaho mountains, trees and running beside the beautiful Lochsa River, I feel that it is a long repetitious ride of the same scenery being repeated every 5 miles!  Now, in defense of the beautiful highway, I was pressing to reach a destination that probably was set to many miles for the day’s ride.  And when I am in this mental mode I become impatient.  The other factor is that I think I still had the images of the Road To The Sun ingrained in my visual memory and was expecting more of those magnificent peaks along this mountainous highway. 

Out of Kooski I believe the highway entered the Nez Perce Nation’s Reservation.  Then at some point in the ride I found that the highway was following the Snake River along my right (north) into Lewiston ID.  Also at some point near the end of the ride the geographt changed from tree lined steep hills to more of the brown grass covered rolling hills that I equated with eastern Oregon/Washington similar to those around Kenniwick.  Anyhow, in my haste to finish the ride and reach Lewiston I never stopped to take photo’s….actually, I never saw anything dramatic of which to take a photo.

In Lewiston I found a good priced room at the local Days Inn just before the bridge that crosses over the Snake and into the city.  I discovered a KFC just to the other side of the bridge up on the hill from the park and took it back to the motel to eat while writing.

While there I met some other bikers who were heading east, home to Minnesota and noticed the cleverest rider arrangement ever!! 

Tim Trelstad figured out how to anchor a dog carrier to the top of his trailer and take Sheeba, his German Shepard, everywhere with him…isn’t that cool??

While unloading Sophia I noticed how dirty she was so I mentally planned to get up early and give her a good bath before we hit the morning road for Boise and parts farther East along the I-84.

I think I’ll give Sophia some detailing and shine her up with some wax!
C ya mañana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Email: GonzoCrossUSA@gmail.com
Cell: 949-433-0761

No comments:

Post a Comment