Thursday, October 6, 2011

Riding Susquehanna Trail

October 5, 2011
Williamsport PA
Home of Little League World Series
            Well, I finally made it to the Home of the Little League World Series!  When I was coaching the Little League teams in Lake Forest, my son and I would watch the series every year….lotsa fun!
            Departed North Tonawanda around 2 pm, 4 hrs past plan.  But I did get Sis’ bathroom cabinet done, map and riding directions, etc.  Sis fixed me a very nice brunch so I would have the energy to ride J.
            Weather was a little cool, overcast, but no rain.  As I rode through south of Buffalo the sun broke through and things started to warm up.  The roads were good ones and traffic was light.  It definitely warmed up so I was glad not to be wearing the raingear….just had the jeans.
            Only came across 6 other bike riders during the trip…coming from the east as I was heading east on US-20A.  They were well bundled up….must’ve been cold wherever they originated from. 
            The countryside was rolling hills, wooded and farmed, very rural NY and very attractive.  It is nice to get out of the city.  The trees are beginning to turn into the colors of fall.  I could see reds sparsed out amongst the greens and some golds.




            Picked up NY-36 and headed south onto I-390.  Just south of Painted Post I picked up US-15 for the south run to Williamsport.  The original objective today was to reach York but that isn’t going to happen starting out 4 hrs late.
            As I entered PA the hills became more dramatic, higher with deeper valleys.  I was on the Susquehanna Trail and it was an absolute gorgeous ride.  I wished that the weather was better last week so that I could’ve gone camping and riding the scenic trails in the Appalacians!
            Just outside of Dansville the temp really dropped do I got off the highway and put on the new raingear I bought at the Buffalo HD store.  Wow!  What a difference from the lighter raingear that I was wearing while riding through ME.  This one is a little heavier and is a superb windbreaker keeping me warm for the rest of the run.  Also put on the facemask and glove liners so I wouldn’t have to stop later.
            Tried calling 3 motels in the Choice Motel chain but none of them had vacancies….oops.  About 4 miles north of Williamsport there was a hwy sign for motels so I took the exit…and rode thru a small town before finally finding a rundown place…ahhhhh, no…back on the hwy and headed into town for the first exit there.
            Got gas for Sophia and went into the Marriott Fairfield…no vacancies.  So I asked if they were aware of any motels that I could call...glad I asked!  The desk manager told me all the motels are full and he was only aware of the Genetti downtown hotel having any vacancies.  So we called them right away.
            Genetti’s manager had a room and started giving me the sales pitch of how it is steeped I history, on-site restaurant, free full breakfast, yadayada…and I’m thinking….this is the build up to Ka-ching.  And it was, they wanted $175 for a one nighter.  Arrgghh!  We started negotiating and I finally got the room for $150 which is way too expensive for the age of the hotel, but I needed a room as the temp was dropping to 39 deg.
Well, Genetti turned out to be very nice….and old. But it got me a good nights rest, cleaned up and fed, and ready for the run to York. Genetti was built around 1921, has only had 2 owners, and is steeped in history and tradition. Pictures line the walls of famous politicians, baseball players and businessmen. Seems that many of our leaders have either spent a night here or delivered a speech at a dinner gala. I like the place...and appreciate accidentally having to stay here :). 
Temp has warmed up from 39 to about 43 deg.  Sun is shining, fog burned off, time to load up and ride.  Here's a view from the Hotel.
 But first a stop at Lamade Stadium….would be nice to see the Little League dreams of many a young baseball player J
C ya mañana,
Gonzo
twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
email: GonzoCrossUSA@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment