Monday, November 28, 2011

Happy Birthday All

November 6, 2011
Austin TX 

            We all slept in on this fine Austin “Sunday Morning Comin’ Down”, so it was a late start for breakfast.  That meant that the only place we could get breakfast served was at Kirby Lane restaurant on US183, about a 5 minute ride from the apartment.  Kirby’s is about the only place in the neighborhood where you can get breakfast all day long…..nice J.
            After breakfast we did some grocery shopping for the evening meal.  I had volunteered to cook Japanese style curry and Melissa volunteered to a pistachio birthday cake for Zach (5Nov), me (6th) and Harley (7th).  So I needed to get the curry sauce, lotsa

onions, frozen corn kernels, sweet peas, green peppers, and potatoes.  We also picked up some Texas wine.
            Melissa and Cort met us at the apartment and Harley and I began preparing everything for the curry dinner while Melissa and Harley worked on baking the pistachio cake.  It has been quite awhile since I last cooked curry for the family….hell, upon reflection, it has been quite awhile since I have even cooked!  So it was a good familiar feeling to be chopping up vegetables, peeling potatoes, dicing and dissolving the curry sauces.  I like to combine a bar of Hot and a bar of Medium Curry when I make the sauce by slicing it into thin strips and putting it into a large pot with the appropriate quantity of cups of water to dissolve the curry strips on the stove.  The first veggies to be added to the dissolving sauce are the chunks of potato and the carrots.  As time goes on the frozen peas and corn are added along with the green and red peppers and broccoli.  
            About 30 minutes before dinner was ready, Harley wanted to watch the animated movie Gnomeo and Juliet listed in “Netflix” so she could get some ideas for her animation talents/skills, then we could all pick something different once we sat down to eat dinner.  Well, everyone got so enthralled with the movie that we ended up watching it through completion.  It was produced by Elton John and had a number of his hits for the movie score.  Highly recommend you put this movie on your list of “must see” movies.
            The dinner was a total success….despite my occasional misgivings.  It’s been a long time since I had this curry dinner….will have to make it for the family when I return to CA. 
            And then we had our birthday cake!  Wow!  Melissa really knows how to make a great pistachio cake…I had two pieces.
            Proof that every now and then I can have my cake and eat it too J.
C ya mañana
Gonzo
twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA

No comments:

Post a Comment