Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Heading for Tennessee

October 29, 2011
Somewhere in VA

            It was interesting to drive from the relatively flat areas of MD along the Chesapeake, across VA and south into Charlottesville before heading west to pick up the I-81 to head south.  The flat areas began forming into hills, then larger hills flowing into small mountains and valleys and then WHAM, hello Shenandoah Valley and the Appalachians.  It was here that I saw the first remnants of the recent storm that brought the first snow to the higher elevations and the rainbow of Fall colors as the leaves began their change to the yellows, golds, rusts, and reds that are so beautiful this time of year. 

            But as much as I enjoyed seeing the mountains there was a feeling of nostalgia for that little spot on the creek where I enjoyed many an evening sitting and chatting with my brother.  It was good to be with him, good to see him work his way through medical solutions and regaining his energy and returning to working in his business. 
This was quite a visit.  I take with me many memories, Joe and I riding our Harleys together, Irene and 6 days of no power and no water, an earthquake, ZZ Top concert, Peggy orchestrating dinners and Sunday morning breakfasts with the guys, working a whole day pulling 7 tree stumps, watching the dump truck and attached flatbed trailer go for a ride by itself and ultimately stopping because it jackknifed, Dinners with Joe and Peg and more Deadwood, Starbuck trips with Joe and Peggy, and of course, playing with the pug.  There is one memory I could do without and that is of the chigger attack and the remnant bites which are still irritating my skin in a number of places.  But the nice part is that I have a fixed up car and trailer from Joe, a bag full of home baked peanut butter cookies from Peggy, and an invitation to return to next year.
Oh, one more memory.  The State of Maryland nailed me for $12 to cross over the bridge into Virginia….I need to find another way out of that state on the next trip J.
C ya mañana
Gonzo
twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
email: GonzoCrossUSA@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment