Sunday, November 27, 2011

Pausin’ in Austin


November 5, 2011
Austin TX

            After departing Lander’s Toad Suck Harley in Conway I headed southwest to Texarkana then skirted around the east side of Dallas to pick up the I-35 for Austin.  Somewhere north of Waco I pulled into a Mexican Restaurant and had an authentic Mexican dish of taco, enchilada and tamal.  Ahhhh, it was so-o-o-o-o good to have a real dinner and a DosEquisXX!  It was late when leaving the restaurant so I parked in a motel parking lot and camped out there for the night.  The temperatures were in the 40’s during the night and my sleeping bag kept me toasty.  In the morning I found a Starbucks and treated myself to my usual medium latte no foam, and worked on my emails and blog.
            The next stop was at Temple to visit “Horny Toad” Harley Davidson for a Tshirt with “Horny Toad” on it.  Another must have!  Although I already have Texas T’s from El Paso, I felt that this one was a very unique name to have.  This time I remembered to get a pic of the store….hope that gives me a little credibility on the “Toad Suck” store in AR.  Found me a nice pinup T and headed down the road to Austin…about 2 hrs away.


            My son Zach was at the apartment when I arrived and we got permission from the office to park the trailer out in the south 40.  Little did I know that this was going to become contentious later with the security guards of the place…more on that later.
            Today is Zach's birthday so, after getting my gear up to the apartment and washing up we headed over to Bone Daddy’s to meet Zach and Harley’s friends Cort and Melissa and their little 6 week old baby girl named io…cute huh?  Bone Daddy’s is a BBQ place modeled after Hooters but serving BBQ Rib as their specialty, a perfect meal to celebrate a birthday. 
            After that we headed downtown to “The Side Bar” just off of 6th street for some beers.  We were early (7pm) so there wasn’t much going on.  But upon leaving around 11pm the whole town was jumping to live music, a festival of sorts, crowds galore and 6th street was closed to vehicles so that the drunks, I mean the young folks, could party all night J.
            It was a fun night seeing Austin and havin a few beers with my son and his friends, Mike, Cort, Josh, Gabe and Gary.  They’re a bunch of good guys that know how to have a good time.
            I’m looking forward to spending about 7-10 days here….or as Harley said, “......take a pause from your retirement travels”.
C ya mañana
Gonzo
twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA

No comments:

Post a Comment