Saturday, August 25, 2012

Riding the Black Hills

August 20-21, 2012
Ellsworth AFB, SD
Buffalo WY

Got lucky this morning and landed a reservation at the Ellsworth AF base Pine Tree Inn.  Wow, is this ever a nice place.  They assigned me a suite with a king size bed in a bedroom separated from the living room…cool digs for an old traveler such as I.  The place is very new and very well appointed.

On the trip here, a very uneventful trip, I noticed the effects of the drought on the Iowa and Nebraska cornfields.  Not much yield there.  The weather was perfect for a long haul…and I covered an easy 560 miles, arriving in Ellsworth around 6:30pm.  During the ride I was deciding that a 2 day stay in the Black Hills would be nice.  However, when I got up this morning I decided to keep moving forward and hit the road…..inertia must not be given an opportunity!

So I checked out and headed for Custer City, the beginning point for the SCMA’s Iron Mountain ride.  Custer is a nice quaint town, was there last year at the Best Western for 3 nites during the Rally.  After getting a gas receipt and a sandwich it was off to complete the ride. 


Also, along the way to Custer, I came across a herd of buffalo sunning themselves in a field along side SD36.

At the first tunnel on the trip I could see Mt. Rushmore through the tunnel and decided to get a photo of me and Sophia.  There had been hardly any traffic so I figured I could set the camera on the small tripod and get the magical photo.  So I rode Sophia thru the tunnel and on the other side I stopped to turn her around and reposition her on the side of the road but facing the tunnel.  With the camera on the tripod at the other end of the tunnel I could get a photo of the two of us with Rushmore in the back.  Didn’t quite work out that way. 

After confirming there was no traffic I began the turnaround by pulling forward across the narrow road and was just backing her up when I hear this horn and loud roars of mufflers.  Holy Crap!  There were four bikes right on me!  I was so startled that I stopped Sophia in her tracks, got off balance, and down she went. CRAP!!

Well, the guys were nice enough to help me get her upright and out of the way so they could continue on.  One of the guys stayed back and so did his sweetheart who was riding her own bike.  They are Tim and Nancy from Iowa and I thought they really make for a handsome twosome!  I got this photo of them and then Nancy took my photo in front of the tunnel. 
 
 
Ahh, I am soooo lucky.  At the next 2 tunnels there was NOOOOO way a photo could be taken given the arrangement and the volume of cars/trucks/bikes.

Last year I don’t remember seeing Rushmore when I rode thru…guess I was too focused on the ride.  I did come to the 360 helicoil that almost wiped me out last year.  Sure seemed tame this time….oh yeah, I was about 10 mph slower this time J.

After the Iron Mtn I got a gas receipt in Keystone for proof of being there and headed for Deadwood via the 16 and 385.   It was an absolutely delightful ride but I was glad to get to Deadwood and buy my T-shirt at Harley. 

Before departing this family complimented me on Sophia and asked if they could take a photo.  I got them to all gather around.  They are Karl, Martina, and Melanie Schleicher from Stuttgart Germany.
 
It was just a short way up the road in WY when I stopped for gas and took time to eat the other half of my subway, drink water, and consult the map to decide on a course of action for the Chief Joseph and Beartooth Highway.  While sitting on a bench on the shady side of the gas station, two 2-up bikes with trailers pulled in.  The two guys were John and Delbert and were from Indianapolis.  The four of them were on their way to Sheridan for the night and then points north.  Hope they had a good ride.

Back on the road I was hoping to make it to Ranchester since there was no way Billings was reachable before nightfall.  But dusk closed in on me around Buffalo and I got off the interstate looking for the Wyo motel whose billboard I saw earlier on the 90.  I found it by pure luck!  The sun was blazing in my eyes and I pulled into a very nice looking mom and pop type motel that was about a half mile from the exit.  While registering with the owners (soon to be) I saw that it was indeed the Wyo!

Dave and Robyn gave me a very nice room and posed for the photo op before my departure the next morning.  Robyn retired from the police force and Dave was a sailor stationed in San Diego.  Small world ain’t it?

They run a very nice motel, keep it very clean, and are very attentive to their guests.  And they offer a very good rate in comparison to the other motels there.

Tomorrow is the Chief and the Tooth rides.  Hope I keep Sophia right side up!
C ya maƱana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Email: GonzoCrossUSA@gmail.com
Cell: 949-433-0761

No comments:

Post a Comment