Sunday, August 19, 2012

Garmin Busted ???

August 18, 2012
Paducah KY


While making the trip to my buddy Neal’s place in Brentwood I made a stop for gas along the I-40 and met an energetic young businessman named Mark Mendoza saw Sophia and asked where I was heading.  We shared some stories of Harleys and one thing led to another and I found out he is a graduate of ASU in Tempe and runs the franchise Sports Clips in addition to restaurants, etc.  His dad is in Albuquerque and owns/operates Padilla’s, a long standing restaurant in the city.  Mark’s enthusiasm is infectious and motivating….he rekindled my interest in looking for a business to start up when I return to CA.

The ride was uneventful, other than observing 2 very bad accidents in the eastbound lanes with traffic backed up around 5-7 miles.

The visit with Neal was great.  Unfortunately my arrival was too late to see his wife Liz before she flew out until returning Saturday.  And of course, I was departing on Friday morning.  However, there was some bad weather, horrific lightning storms that hit the area hard.  Neal’s patio table had the umbrella torn out and the glass top shattered. 

Of the many things that we worked on to get me ready for the second half of my trip was the making of a shroud to house the water resistant encased Garmin so I could see the screen thru the clear plastic face of the case.  The plastic is very soft and flexible and reflects daylight, shirts, gloves, everything….making it very difficult to see the screen.  So I shrouded it was able to see the screen much better today while riding to Sturgis.

However, a little drama…the bike was loaded and Neal was going to lead me to the Post Office to mail a bag of my receipts home.  These receipts are needed to put in my travel log for the SCMA as proof of visit.  So I’m getting concerned having them in my possession where they could ultimately be lost.  Since I wont be working them until I return to CA in October I decided to just mail them now.  And, in fact, may individually mail future receipts each week just to keep things in safe keeping.  Well, we had assembled the shroud and installed it on Sophia and got everything working.  I shut all off and we went into the house to review the map and round so I could visualize it ahead of the ride.  After that we went out into the garage and I started the bike and backed out, plugging the Garming power adapter into the fairing’s power plug.  Once out of the garage I put it gear and glanced at the shrouded Garmin to see how it displayed while out in the bright sunlight.  The screen was blank.  No matter what I did I could not get the Garmin to power up.

Neal and I consulted owner’s manual, called Garmin support (Closed on weekends), unplugged the tip of the power cord to see if the fuze was blown, yada yada yada, all to no avail.  Talk about frustrating!

Next we decided to go to Auto Zone for a new fuze…they didn’t have it.  So off we went to Radio Shack in the hopes they would carry these small fuses.  If the fuse didn’t solve the problem we would go to Costco and try to exchange this one as ‘bad’ or just buy a new one.  While at Radio Shack we found the fuses and I came up with the idea of asking the clerk to test the original ceramic fuse to determine if it was still good….and it tested good!  Then we thought there may be a fuse internally to the Garmin and the clerk tried to open it to no avail.  This was a good thing because another employee was consulted for a possible solution.  He looked at it, and about 15 seconds later handed it back to me and it was fully operational!  Seems that all one has to do is hold the power on button down for 7 seconds and the Garmin resets….how about that!  So I was saved from buying fuses and a new Garmin and from losing another 2 hours.

Well, by the time we got back and got the bike all set up it turned out to be 5pm….a very unholy late start!  But, despite Neal’s invitation to stay one more day, I insisted on departing as I needed to complete this next 3000 mile leg of the summer before arriving in El Paso for the Three Flags Classic (ride from ELP to Nelson BC in 4 days).

So off I went, no picture taking, just riding.  I made it to Paducah which I believe is the home of Murray State College.  So I only covered about 155 miles for the day…but with luck I can do some long legs the next two days and get this ride back on schedule.

I hope, I hope, I hope.
C ya mañana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Email: GonzoCrossUSA@gmail.com
Cell: 949-433-0761

No comments:

Post a Comment