Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Dragon is Slayed !!

August 14, 2012
Robinsville NC


Woke up around 3, then 5, then 6, and finally stayed up at 8:20.  The Sleepless in Seattle routine wasn’t my fault…it was the trucks on the Highway doing all their downshifting….very, very noisy.  And my room was actually above the highway but only some 30 feet away!

After leisurely loading the bike up I crossed over to the other side….of the highway that is, and had breakfast at a small shop named WE (Waffles and Eggs).  Am so glad that I went there for my breakfast cuz they had raw jalapenos which they graciously grilled for me and put it on the side.

Outside the skies were seriously overcast but The Weather Channel app on my Droid didn’t show any thunderstorm activity for Claypool Hill area.  BUT….scrolling the map around showed Knoxville getting plummeted, as well as the Maryville area, but all moving ENE on the map.  It seemed that by the time I reached Knoxville the thunderstorms would have passed thru already.  Buoyed by that optimism I mounted my iron steed and headed out onto the 19 towards Knoxville.  And I was indeed very fortunate.  The closest I came to rain was a thunderstorm on the left of the highway and one on the right about 10 miles apart…and the US19 split between them!  Once on the south side of Knoxville the skies cleared and the sun began warming the gorgeous TN countryside.

Shortly thereafter I connected to the 129 and headed for Maryville and then towards Tallassee.  But first was a planned stop at The Dragon Inn at the junction of TN72 and US129.  I had to meet Dennis and see his hotel and BBQ business that he started last year.  He and his wife are very courageous to embark on this adventure !   His place is all natural wood and gives a country feeling to the stay.  His BBQ is open on all sides giving a nice feel to being in the woods and a full view to the road watching bikers going to and coming from the Dragon.  If you are planning to ride the Dragon from Tallassee south to the Deals Gap you should plan to spend the night at The Dragon Inn or stop for refreshments. (865) 253-3566.

Dennis’s BBQ was closed for the day (Mon & Tue) but he still insisted on making a sandwich for me with a side of potato salad and also some iced Pepsi….that’s some fantastic Illinois transplanted hospitality into TN!!!  We chatted for about an hour and then took some photos.  He then armed me with some advice for riding the Dragon and off I went to the starting point 11 miles down the road at the end of Lake Chillowee. 

First stop was at the Harley store to get some gas and prove I was here and to buy a ‘Dragon’ TShirt J.  While there Hanna took some photos for me and also joined me for a pic….every old man enjoys getting his photo taken with a young lady!

Next stop was only a mile or two into the ride when I came out onto a viewing area and saw another biker and his gal sitting on the rock wall and enjoying the view.  Mike and his sweetheart Bailey were kind enough to pose for some pics as well as take a few of me.  Then some tourists in a van cage stopped  by and they also joined in on the photo session.  Andrew (NYU) and his sweetheart Olivia (Columbia) posed on the bike and took photos of each other….we may have some high IQ Harley converts in the making J.  Then it was time to go slay the Dragon!

Wow!  What a thrilling ride…so many turns (318 in 11 miles), ascending and descending 180’s, deep banked turns, tight turns, Little to no room for error.  No chance to look for vistas as the focus is completely on the ride.….couldn’t see it anyhow as the road is in the middle of a thick forest.  On a number of curves I could see deep scrapings probably made by scraping running boards and in some places it seemed as if a bad crash marked the spot.

And suddenly the NC state line showed up…Deals gap was there in front of me and the 11 miles of 318 curves was over.  I was elated that I completed it without crashing….but saddened that it was done…I wanted to ride it again!  It was just so much fun!

But it was time to move on.  I took a self photo in front of the curved dragon but couldn’t find the “Tree of Shame”.  I noted the Deals Gap Country Store on the other side of the road so I drove over there but it was closed.  Although tempted to continue on down 129 I noted a fork and couldn’t see any signs giving directions.  So I turned Sophia around to go into the motel parking lot so I could see the front of a sign that was about 100 feet up the road.  Am so glad I did that…’cuz there, in the center of the lot, was the “Tree of Shame”.


Time for a Kodak moment.  And while setting up the camera a gentleman from Chicago came over and offered to take the photos.  Mark Lewis was there with his daughter MacKenzie and we ended up taking photos with his and my camera and chatted about riding.  We promised to connect via email and exchange photos. Oh, he also mentioned a friend of his who is considering doing what I’m doing now and asked if she could contact me for riding advice.  So I may be getting another blog follower in the future.

All that was left now was to ride the Cherohalla Skyway.  Not more than 2 miles down the mountain I came upon the Cheoah Resevoir/Lake.  The Dam here was made famous in Harrison Fords "Fugitive".

But I knew it was too late in the day to make the ride.  I had 20 miles to go to Robinsville and then 30 miles to ride the Cherohalla.  And it was already 7:30pm.  So I decided to look for Microtel that Mark told me was in Robbinsville.  20 miles later  I was in the town but found the Microtel fully booked up.  The hostess suggested I try the San-Ran motel (828) 479-3256 just a few buildings over.  Anne and her husband are the owners and they have a very nice, clean and comfortable place at a very reasonable price.  It definitely was my good fortune to be sent to San-Ran ….highly recommend it as the place to stay if you stay in Robbinsville.


Oh, one other good note to a sad note.  Turns out this NC county is a dry county.  I found that out from an 18 yr old employee of the food store.  But with a grin he told me where I could find beer only 30 minutes away in the adjoining county  (but I wasn’t going to ride 30 minutes just for a beer).  So I headed over to the gas station and bumped into 4 other bikers from Michigan-Steve, Rick, Gary and Tim have been on the road since Friday and were on their way to Deal’s Gap Motel where they had reservations.  We had a good chat swapping stories and I mentioned the sadness of a Dry county at which point Steve dipped into a cooler strapped on the back of Harley and gave me a Coors!!  Wow!!  Made my evening.  Then another sad note…they hit the road and I realized I never gave them my card…and didn’t get any pics of us for the blog!  It sure would be great if they bumped into Mark and his daughter and got the info J

Well, time to get to sleep.  The Cherohalla awaits me tomorrow as does Neal, my good USMC buddy, in Nashville. 

Hope I don’t twist and turn too much in my sleep tonight J
C ya mañana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Email: GonzoCrossUSA@gmail.com
Cell: 949-433-0761

No comments:

Post a Comment