Sunday, August 19, 2012

Riding the Cherohalla Parkway

August 15, 2012
Brentwood (Nashville) TN
 
Last night I realized that tomorrow I will have to return to Deal’s Gap to acquire my ‘Tail of the Dragon’ T-Shirt and decals.  So my plan will be to load up, have breakfast at McD’s then ride to Deal’s Gap.

While loading Sophia in the morning I made new friends with the motel support staff and folks from MS from the room a few doors down.  I believe their names were Mike and Patty Campbell…but I’m not sure.  Once again I can’t find where I had written their names…if I had. They were in a Miata riding the Dragon for fun and then will head back to Diamond Head MS where I had stayed with my buddy Neal while doing the Four Corners on my way to Key West.  They also recently bought some propertyThe ride there went quickly, about 25-30 minutes, and I’m glad that I went there.  I bumped into Doc, who I had met back when I met Dennis at The Dragon Inn yesterday, and got a pic taken with him and his wife.

The person taking the pic was Scott whose son is in the Marine Corps so we chatted about that and the rack I designed for Sophia. Hope to hear from him in the future and get the pic he took of me with his camera.



Then it was off back towards Robbinsville and onto the Cherohalla.  Shortly after turning onto the 143 I came upon the Thunder Mountain General Store, cabins, and Gas station.  I met Mark the owner and then outside met Bryan Bates, Sherry Porter, Pete Stokes and Abbie.  We had fun swapping witticisms and took a pic of all of us.  I got some gas for proof of visit then headed out on the Skyway

I wasn’t sure what to expect on the Skyway but everyone told me it was totally different from the Dragon.  And indeed it was.  The road was similar to the BRP and well maintained.  I don’t think the altitude ever exceeded 3500 feet, but it often felt like I was up around 6000 or so.  View from lookouts always presented mountain peaks just a ridge away whereas the BRP had huge valleys in many instances.  The Cherohalla runs all along the southern border of the Great Smokies.  The clouds were very high today so there weren't too much 'smoking' but that was a good thing...cuz the views were gorgeous looking out on all the adjoining ridges completely covered with trees.  The ride is very similiar to the BRP in that the climbs were not excessively steep and the turns were fun in their gentleness allowing riders to keep going at a good speed between 30-50 mph.

The weather was perfect until about halfway through the ride when rain clouds swept in bringing a lower temperature; so I put my wind breaking rain jacket on for added warmth.  At some point the Garmin gave up and quit on me….I think it was at the TN/NC line where the NC143 changes to TN165.  I had programmed the Garmin only for 143 so at this point it no longer showed me a highlighted route…but it did display the road continuing.  I began 2nd guessing myself wondering if I had missed a turn or something so I stopped at a viewpoint and consulted the map.  Nope, there was really no road to turn off onto…I was heading the right way, and to my estimation I had about another 10 miles to go.  So, back on Sophia and off we went.

Took a pic of the Cherokee NF.  There was another lookout point where I snapped a pic of hills I just rode down from.  Then I came upon the Harley Store at Tellico.  They were selling a large decal for trailers so I bought it and arranged for it to be shipped to El Toro.  And of course, I had to buy another T-Shirt…damn, I gotta stop doing this….somehow.  Well, there are only three more places I plan on buying a T…Deadwood, Vernal and Durango.  Anyhow, I also mailed the new ones home.


With that all done and accomplished it was a quick bite at the Hardee’s place at the junction with TN68.  The next leg was the long run to Brentwood, just south of Nashville where my buddy Neal lives.  The route I’d be taking is the US68 to I-75 to I-40 into Nashville.  I got in at 8:06 and Neal greeted me with a “You’re one hour early buddy!”  Somewhere along the ride I crossed a time zone.  Cool.

Am looking forward to my visit with Neal and working on a coupla bike projects.
C ya mañana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Email: GonzoCrossUSA@gmail.com
Cell: 949-433-0761

No comments:

Post a Comment