Saturday, August 11, 2012

NY to MD

July 27, 2012
Lusby MD

Had an absolutely wonderful visit with my sister; it’s good to see that she is doing ok.  But it was time to get on the road.  Sophia has been sitting out back, under the bike cover, while it rained for a couple of days.  Today is supposed to be nice and clear all the way into Lusby….so we’re loading up and heading out.

Sis fixed a little breakfast for me while I was loading and then we ate and chatted for a while until it was 10am and I fired Sophia up and rolled out the driveway. 

The ride was a nice one, about 475 miles from Niagara Falls to Lusby MD.  We rode east out of Buffalo towards Rochester then south to PA through Williamsport, Harrisburg, and York, and into MD via Baltimore and the outskirts of Annapolis.  There were a number of spots along the way that I recognized from last year’s ride. 

The topography is most interesting along this southeastern route (I-390,
i-86 and US-15) leading into Corning NY.  The country hills here in central part of NY display patches of woods, fields, and farms dotted with occasional farm buildings.  Connecting highways display signs to a couple of the finger lakes…Keuka and Seneca Lakes until skirting Corning and heading directly south into towards PA.  Nearing the PA border, entering the edges of the Appalachian mountain range, the hills become dramatically taller looking down upon deeper valleys that may have an occasional stream.  Passing an exit along the way I recognized the building near the on-ramp as the off-on ramps that I used to don the new raingear purchased at Buffalo Harley Davidson.  Last year it was very cold so this gear helped in stopping the wind penetration and also in retaining some body warmth.  Two other sites from last year became recognizable as I skirted through Williamsport via the I-180….it was the Genetti Hotel where I stayed and Horsepower H-D where I picked up a unique Tshirt displaying a half stallion with Harley wheels and a flaming mane.

Somewhere out of Williamsport I had a choice of riding the Susquehana Trail (PA147) or continue on the US15.  The 15 was chosen since I did the other one last year and I wand then I cut over it to get onto the US11.  anted to save time on this trip.  The river followed alongside the US15 road all the way into Harrisburg and soon I spied the four multi-arching bridges so characteristic of this State Capitol.  Traffic was a little congested as I passed through the town but it only slowed me a little.  What is more impacting is the numerous construction slowdowns on all the roads, but that is a good thing as the roads need fixing. 

There wasn’t much scenery to report upon as I passed through York.  Seems the highway goes through all the manufacturing sections of the town.  Last year I spent two days and a night here so that I could catch the York Harley Davidson plant tour….well worth the wait!

From York it was then the long ride south to Baltimore on I83.  Entering MD the topography once again changes to kiddie roller coaster hills.  Everywhere are trees…everywhere!  Not like the desert J.  I skirted around Baltimore on the 695 and briefly rode the I97 to connect to US 3 which became US 301 south…well on my way to US 4 taking me further south to Lusby.

I enjoyed the end of this ride for a number of reasons…..the beauty of MD is unique to itself.  Riding curving roads with gentle dips and climbs that were almost canopied by the trees is always thrilling.  Recognizing many of the landmarks telling me I was getting closer to “home” knowing my sore but was finally going to get a rest. 

But most of all, knowing that once again I get to see family and good friends!

C ya mañana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Email: GonzoCrossUSA@gmail.com
Cell: 949-433-0761

No comments:

Post a Comment