Friday, October 12, 2012

Ahh, A Good CaliMex Dinner !

September 21, 2012
Crescent City CA


Today was a good day to depart OR and mi familia.  First, because I need to get back on the road again (Sophia was complaining and Snoopy was whining), second, I’ve been here waaayyyy too long (My bro and Sis in law were considering adopting me J), and third, today was the first day of rain since I arrived in OR….so Fall has now officially arrived in OR according to the Gonzo Book of Seasons!  And I’m outa here!  Heading for Northern CA and finding country roads, scenic roads, yadayada.
 
My visit with family in Tigard has been a good one.  The resting and sleeping that began in Tacoma and continued here has renewed my spirits somewhat. and I've gained unneeded weight from Tere's cooking! I played a little golf, got sophia her 40K service, hosted a party with mi familia and friends to celebrate the year's riding.
Here's a pic of me at The Reserve and of the next door neighbor, little Cooper with his mom. Lil Cooper loved to push all the buttons and make the horn honk :).
 




Actually, it wasn’t raining at Tigard….it was just foggy and the air was heavy with moisture from the fog, making the roads look like it was raining.  However, about 10 miles south of Tigard the clouds began to drop those little Oregonian jewels upon the windshield.  This continued on and off all the way to about 10 miles north of Eugene.  A total reversal of my previous rides through here.  Typically the ride is dry until reaching Eugene, where the Oregonian heavens bless me and Sophia with a departing gift!  But this time was different….the gifts abounded until reaching Eugene, and the gods of California sunshine stretched their boundaries attempting to influence the rainy foggy perspectives of the southwestern Oregonians.

Speaking of pretty sights (I was wasn’t I?), I was at a gas station, I think in Eugene, standing next to my parked Sophia and letting the blood flow back into my butt, when a young lady asked to take a photo of Snoopy.  I don’t know how that mongrel does it but all the young ladies pay attention to him!

The young lady is Kristin and she wanted a photo of Snoopy to send to her friend in Denmark.  She sure looks a lot better sitting on Sophia than I do, do you think?

Continuing south on the I-5 the future began to brighten.  About 45 miles south of Eugene, far in the distance past 3 mountain ridges and associated valleys, I could see a patch of blue sky peaking over a mountain and underneath the overhead cotton blanket that was greying my mood.  And sure enough, when I reached Roseburg the sun greeted me warmly.  Ahhh, my old friend was lighting my way to California! So I pulled off in Roseburg and visited a Burger King for their Jr Wopper sandwich and a coke.  Then I ditched the rain gear and headed to Grants Pass, about 70 miles further south.

I finally arrived at Grant’s Pass and headed west on US199, also known as the Redwood Highway, for the Northern California coast and Hwy 101.  And what a very pleasant surprise! 

The road is a combination of two lanes, separated lanes, three lanes-one for passing on the hills, gentle curves, slight ascending climbs, forests, views of distant mountains, and no traffic!    The fun started about ½ of the way up when I finally entered the twisties with posted speeds dropping to as low as 20.  I noticed that I am taking these turns a lot smoother and faster now….of course, there weren’t any cliff hangers ala Beartooth Highway, so my confidence is definitely up.  These twisties follow along towering rock cliffs and shaded, wooded forests lining the highway.  Not once did I encounter a bad spot on the road!  I liked this scenic ride and, although not on the 15 Best Rides list, I enjoyed the twisties as much as any of the previous USA 15 Best Rides that I have done.  I think I’m going to ride some more of these roads designated as scenic highways in CA.

Arriving in Crescent City around 6 pm I decided to get a motel room.  The air is cold and I expect it to get colder during the night…and I am now a fair weather camper only….especially at the prices they charge now for camping.  Found a Days Inn but they wanted too much, then found an America’s Best Value about a block later.  They were in my price range after getting the Gonzo discount, so I got the room.  Which turned out to be a timely act because the place filled up as the evening wore on.

Dinner was a ‘spoil me’ dinner.  Next door to the motel is a Mexican Restaurant, El Torreros, that served an excellent chicken enchilada and taco with the frijoles y arroz and good tasting salsa.  My last Mexican restaurant was a disappointing visit to Carlos and Mickey’s in El Paso so this helped to make up for it.

Tomorrow I will head south on the US101 so it’s time to get some sleep …but first a little reading of Craig Johnson’s “The Cold Dish” to see if Walt Longmire is getting any closer to solving his Wyoming murder in the local Big Horn territory.
C ya mañana
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Email: GonzoCrossUSA@gmail.com
Cell: 949-433-0761

No comments:

Post a Comment