Wednesday, October 10, 2012

I Am 50% Canadian

September 4, 2012
Nelson, BC  Canada


Typically, I consider myself of Mexican descent because my father was an Hispanic from Tejas.  As a child I lived in a number of those small towns in southern Texas…Weslaco, Mission, Falfurrias, Alice and of course, probably a few outlying non-city country farm locales.  Perhaps this is why I love the country so much.

BUT, what about the other side of me….my mother’s side? She was Canadian…..from the Hamilton area.  I haven’t been in touch with anyone on that side of the family for years….other than my cousins, children of my mother’s brother and sister.  And they are all New Yorkers basically.

I am not sure.  But I believe my mother was a combination of English
(Smith) and Scottish (Caldwell). Anyhow, it makes me feel good to be in my mother’s country of birth and to chat with the wonderful Canadian folks that I am meeting while on this trip. 

If I were superstitious I would say that her spirit is moving me amongst friends.  But ya’ll know that my only superstition is to not step on sidewalk cracks.

Today was basically a day of rest….spent the time chatting with my friend Bob.  We did get a photo of view from our table and one with Amanda, our lovely waitress.




Then we had the SCMA Three Flags Classic (3FC or TFC) dinner.  The Dinner was called to order to the sounds of the bagpipes.  I sat at the table with Steve and his lovely sweetheart (shown here taking a photo of the bagpiper), and also with Bob, and a few others whose names I cannot recall.


It was a lot of fun. Steve entertained us with his great witticisms….the dinner was a fair meal (free), and I allowed myself to drink two beers.

Blake and Huey did a wonderful job MC'ing the event.


I did find Bud and his posse that I was following around Kootenai and experienced the Adrenalin Rush.  And also found Wanda, Marlene's friend from the Little America route. 


Couldn't find Stan, Bill and Marlene tho.  Seems Marlene had an accident earlier today and broke her hip....sure hope she will be alright.

At the end of the dinner we had the Mountie arrest Bob for being “Bob”.  And I got to pose for a pic with the Mayor of Nelson.  She made me wish I was 50 again J.


Tomorrow Bob and Marty have asked me to ride with them back to US of A and also to ride to Seattle.  My objective is to head into Tacoma and visit my friend Susan for a few days….do some touring, have some sushi, see a movie, work on the blogs, yadayada.  I was planning on riding south out of Canada to reach the I-90 and head into Seattle. But they are telling me it is shorter to ride the WA20 thru the Cascades and the Cascade NP.  I checked it out on the map and they are correct.  So I’m gonna join them on the US20 ride.  I hope they don’t kill me.  I am tired of this twisty turnie stuff!

Let me explain what my current disposition is.  I am tired.  My bones ache.   I am mentally weary.  The 3FC, added on to the other rides from the 15 Best have taken their toll.  I need a long break from 17 days of riding. 

I’m done. 

I just want to get back to CA, finish the Parks adventure and qualify for the Triple Crown: USA Four Corners, Three Flags Classic, and the Parks Adventure. 

But I am not motivated anymore.  I’m tired.  I need an extended rest and need to boost my ambition to complete the Parks.  So I'm gonna take a break in Tacoma for a few days, ride 3 hours south to Portland and my in-laws and hang there for a few days, then head south to San Jose to hang with my other in laws and rest some more.  While there I'll leisurely visit the Parks and Missions in the greater Bay area.

20,000 miles since June 17th has exacted its toll.
C ya mañana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Email: GonzoCrossUSA@gmail.com
Cell: 949-433-0761

No comments:

Post a Comment