Friday, October 26, 2012

Crossroads – Decision Made

September 24, 2012
Whiskeytown NRS, CA


Those of you who have been following my blogs or were with me in Nelson BC, know of my decision at the end of The Three Flags Classic, to just ride back to the west coast, head south, complete the California Parks Adventure for the SCMA’s Triple Crown, and call it a year.  No more "The 15 Best Roads in America Challenge"....felt that next year I would ride at my leisure and really enjoy the last three rides.

This was my frame of mind while sitting in Nelson BC sipping on a beer with my friend Bob during the day of rest.  I was worn out. With the exception of 3 days-2 nights in Nashville with my Marine Aviator buddy Neal, I have been on the road since 12 August.  Daily riding, thru rain, winds, cold, heat, adrenalin, tooth infection, yadayada found my enthusiasm waning.  My wrist was in extreme pain and my motivation to complete the SCMA’s 15 Best Roads in America Challenge evaporated.  I had completed 11 of the rides, but no longer had an interest in the continuing roller coaster/merry go round rides of strain.  I decided to not complete that event.

Well, Bob Rogers talked me into riding the Cascades with him and Marty since I was heading to Tacoma from Nelson BC.  That was ride #12 of the 15.  He made it fun, somewhat.  I still had a scary moment tho, and I was still tired, but riding it in the company of Bob and Marty made the ride much more enjoyable.  Being able to stop and meet an elderly vacationing couple from South Africa enriched the ride.  But it did not deter my decision from heading to CA with the only objective being of completing the CA Parks for the Triple Crown.

I recovered somewhat at my friend’s place in Tacoma with a 4 day rest.  Then I headed south to Portland for a good visit with my bro and sis in law.  My bro (and his bro, and friend Ron) are all riders…just not on Harleys...and we relaxed and talked some about riding.  We even had a night out at Ron's place in the boonies where we viewed the Milky Way.  So it was good to just sleep.  To rest, to eat well, to laugh with my sis and to reflect upon the past life I had with my departed wife.  There were social activities and a party to celebrate my riding accomplishments.  Then there were the conversations with my bro-in-law as to why I should quit the 15 or continue.  I got out for some golf at "The Reserve", one of my favorite courses, walking and carrying my short bag.  It was good.  There were nights of enjoying a good wine or sharing smooth tequila and a beer chaser with my bro In Law while awaiting a dinner being prepared by Sis In Law.  And sleep. I did a lot of sleeping. 

I still hadn’t made a decision in regards to the 15….there were only 3 more to go.  Frankly, I just wasn’t interested in riding across NV on US50 and to UT to ride the UT12.  I can do those at my leisure on a sunny weekend, from my warm location in SoCal….no need to do it now.

I reflected back on the other 15 rides where I enjoyed some, didn’t enjoy others.  I was tired of being under a schedule….day in and day out.  No time to just dally and enjoy, taste the air, feel the lives of the local folks, squeeze my toes through the texture of the soil of these parts of America.   It seemed that always I needed to press on…to meet a date/time for some other purpose.  Most notably was the deadline of Aug30 to begin the 3Flags Classic. I abhor these induced deadlines.

So now what?  I am no longer under the gun, so to speak.  Whiskeytown was a decision point.  Head south to San Jose and visit with my other in laws and knock off the National Parks/sites in the area, perhaps the missions?  Or head east to Carson City and ride the US-50 and UT-12.

I had completed the Redwoods and completed Whiskeytown.  But I had a bit of surprise…..or to use my favorite expression, I had an absolutely delightful ride on CA-299, a non-15 road.  I experienced that joy of discovery, the joy of meeting new friends, the joy of seeing a country that was fresh, beautiful, unspoiled, unpopulated, cared for in the sense it was made a National Forest.  This is what I have wanted to do from day one when I first started riding the Four Corners event as I departed Blaine WA.  And this is what I have not been able to do because of deadlines.  Yes, I did do it in some cases, but always, the deadline was there before me.  I don’t like that.

On this recent leg from Portland my original plan has changed dramatically.  I have taken 2-3 extra days to reach Redding.  And I have enjoyed it tremendously.  This is what and how I want my remaining riding days for this year to be.

With that optimism, I am thinking that I can go forward to ride the US50 and the UT12.  I want to see and enjoy the unexpected.  But I must be careful.  I must protect my inner romantic sense from the goal oriented sense that only focuses on the ending and doesn’t see all the in-between.  I need to channel the ADD side of me into diversions, taste the local flavors, sniffing those ‘roses’ in road-side natural gardens. I want to enjoy the adventure without strain.  I have camping gear, I have $$ for any motel, I should just go forth and take what comes.

So, buoyed by new found enthusiasm (and fear of my Marine in law kicking my butt) I have decided to ride the US-50 from Carson City to Ely and then head to Torrey to ride the UT-12 through the Escalante Staircase into Bryce Canyon.  After that run I will return to CA to complete the Parks for the Triple Crown.  Completing these two highways will leave me just the one in CA, the Pacific Coast Highway from Monterrey to Morro Bay, a ride I am absolutely looking forward to riding.

My crossroads decision has been made.  I will depart Redding for Carson City and ride the US-50.

Ahhhh, I am already looking forward with anticipation.  New roads, new vistas, new people, new challenges, new bed bugs…ok, that’s taking it a bit too far J.
C ya mañana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Email: GonzoCrossUSA@gmail.com
Cell: 949-433-0761

No comments:

Post a Comment