Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Day 1: Three Flags Classic

August 31, 2012
Buena Vista CO

Quite a day….met some wonderful SCMA folks who are 3FC participants and/or volunteers administering to the organization of the event.  After dinner I had a hard time settling down to sleep and was up until almost midnight.  Not to worry however, at 3AM practically every motorcycle in the lot was firing up and riders were heading west on the 10 to connect to the Patriot’s Highway, US54 and head north to Colorado. 

I didn’t, I rolled over and went back to sleep for another 2 hours.

After waking up the 2nd  time I immediately went and turned in my start
card at the check out point before missing that deadline.  Then loaded Sophia, had coffee and light breakfast, then headed out north.  I needed to tank up but my plan was to do so at the gas station that I knew was out on US54…..and that was my 2nd mistake…first one being a relatively late start….as the last one out of town.

The gas station pumps would not fuel Sophia’s tank.  No matter what I tried to do the pump would not activate like it would if fueling an automobile’s tank.  So I had to backtrack to the Shell station that I knew was on the other side of the elevated highway and about ½ mile back.  What a pain!  And the frustration grew as I pulled into the station and had to wait for a pump…..should’ve filled it up last night in town.  Ultimate result is I was still in the gas station at 8am still trying to head north!

After tanking up I was back out on 54 and decided to pull off at the Edge of Texas-Steakhouse and Saloon, a very local steakhouse owned by Mr. Bowen of the Bowen Ranch, and put the windbreaker gear on to ward of the windchill.  I used to drop in here often for steak and beer when working out at White Sands Missile Range.  Continuing north I then passed by the WSMR Oro Grande turnoff to the Range access gate and farther north passed thru the immigration check point.  About 30 miles later I was entering the outskirts of Alamogordo, a town with nice memories for me, and heading for Moriarty and ultimately Buena Vista in Colorado.  This stretch of land is new to me, unlike everything south and everything around Santa Fe and Taos.

When I finally reached I-25 and headed towards Santa Fe I did a mental estimation of my arrival time in Buena Vista and decided to deviate from the route and stay on US-285 to Alamosa and then back on the planed route on the 17 north to where I picked up US-24 into Buena Vista. It was easy to find the motel where I had reservations so I went ahead and checked in there first.  After that I went over to the Super 8 Motel where the check in point was located and made it just in time….5 minutes before they closed the check in point so the volunteers could rest up before opening up again in the morning.
 
No pics were taken today...in fact, I don't expect to be taking any pics during the next three days until I land in Canada and have Nelson in my sights!
 
Tomorrow I would like to get an early start and ride the planned route…..with no gas station issues J
C ya mañana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GozoCrossUSA
Email: GonzoCrossUSA@gmail.com
Cell: 949-433-0761

No comments:

Post a Comment