Friday, October 12, 2012

CA-299 Salmon Runnin’

September 23, 2012
Redding CA

It was a good rest and a simple continental breakfast with some good coffee.  Snoopy even got to flirt with the owner’s little 2 year old daughter this morning but she was too shy to pose for pictures.

Back out on the road I was soon turning onto CA-299 that would take me over the coastal mountain range and into Whiskey Town…the next National Park that I needed to visit in NorCal.  The road was a gentle climber into the mountains, some nice curves, and then a few steep climbs but nothing extreme.  Or at least I don’t remember anything extreme.  There were some 180’s but they were gentle curves as the highway climbed into Willow Creek. 

I took a stop in Willow Creek for some breakfast at the Bigfoot Bar and Restaurant.  As I entered the town I noticed Gonzalez Mexican Restaurant but didn’t stop there as I really wanted a plate of eggs and ham.  Across from the restaurant I got these photos of the mural painted across the whole building.  Later, on google, I found that Willow Creek is considered the Gateway to Bigfoot Country and they have erected a Bigfoot statue in the town center…too bad I didn’t know it at the time as it would have been a nice photo for Sophia and Snoopy.





Unfortunately, the breakfast menu was over and I was relegated to the lunch menu….had the bigfoot burger and coleslaw along with a cola….my imagination tried to make it look like ham & eggs but it didn’t turn out too well.  Actually, the burger and slaw was pretty good…with jalapenos J.

While eating there a biking couple sat at the table across from me but we didn’t chat…my fault as I was focused on departing…but I did wish them a safe ride.

Out on the CA-299 again I began to pay more attention to the scenery, the trees engulfed the steep mountains, the air was sweet, scented.  I was reminded of some of the rides through Montana, Idaho and BC.  There were rivers, and later, the river was continuously visible on the south side of the highway.  Many places I could see would be perfect for a log cabin to be away from the city and play recluse amongst nature with the river at your door.  I saw signs that told me I was in the Trinity Forest and it was the Trinity River.  Often I would see a truck parked on the side of the road, and down below would be its owner, fishing out in the stream.




Coming upon one such truck I spied a man and woman preparing to hike down to the river for some fishing.  I stopped directly in front of his truck and shut Sophia down.  The man watched me as I dismounted and removed my helmet and then I greeted him saying Snoopy was interested in fishing….could he tell me anything about it.  Frankly, this is where I learned all about the area, the salmon were running, etc.  I gave him my card and I thot I had written his name down, but now cannot find it.  He had retired from the CHP and his son is currently in the Marines flying Hueys.  He also told me to be sure to stop in at the Strawhouse located in Big Flat, a few more miles on my way east.  When he patrolled 299 the Strawhouse was his favorite spot to stop for a cup of organic café while working on his paperwork.  I’m frustrated that I have misplaced his name and email as I was hoping to stay in touch with him and obtain his future recommendation for a fishing guide.  Sure hope he recalls my card and drops me an email!

Then I was off, looking for Big Flat and the Strawhouse, and I did come upon it a little later.  And naturally, I had to stop….but with a mental note to not dally too long so I would still have a timely arrival at Whiskeytown NP.

HA! Fat chance!  I fell in love with this place.  The owners, Don and Julia Ellis are originally from Dana Point, my neck of the woods!  Back in ’98 they escaped OC and settled here.  I learned all this while sipping their delicious coffee and chatting with Joe and Nancy Severson,  their best friends from San Juan Capistrano (? Not sure if SJC or SC) who were visiting.  Joe is an artist and his business card depicts a painting of a senorita wearing a sombrero and notes “Fine Art” under his name.  I get a feeling Joe is tops in his league!  I missed getting a photo with Joe and Nancy but I did get this one with Don out front of the Strawhouse (www.strawhouseresorts.com).  And by the way, Don has cabins and other amenities to accommodate ya’ll for a weekend of relaxation….check it out!





While I was sitting on the patio, listening to the breeze and Trinity’s gurgling and splashing rapids a few feet away, I got to chat with my fellow bikers that were at the Bigfoot Restaurant back in Willow Creek!  They were out for a day ride and dropped in for coffee.  They are Michael and Babara Jewell and live in one of the canyons back by Willow Creek.  They too came here a while back and just stayed to enjoy the simplicity of life there.  I recall that Babara is from somewhere around the Buffalo-Rochester area of New York…so we connected since I am from Buffalo-Tonawanda.  Michael runs his own business making specialty locks for Kayaks and other sporting equipment.  Barbara gave me a card for Lasso Lock-All.  I’m not sure if this is Michaels lock or another lock that Barbara markets (www.lassosecuritycables.com).  And of course, no pics of this good looking couple.

Well, it was getting late in the afternoon so I did get on my way noting that this highway is a definite ‘come backer’ for next year.  Soon I was in Weaverville and shortly after that I entered the Whiskeytown.  I’m short changing the ride in this writeup however, because there were even more sights and vistas and a wonderful ride throught the Shasta-Trinity National area that 299 runs through.

As I was entering the Whiskeytown Lake area I saw a sign for the town at the next left.  Taking it, I found myself on a narrow road that went by a few abandoned old buildings then towards a boating ramp area and then off into the hills to campgrounds.  I decided to venture down into the boating area and ask someone for the location of the Visitor Center.  And I got lucky…there was a couple my age that had just finished loading their boat on the trailer and were preparing for the road.  They advised me that the abandoned building I has passed was indeed Whiskeytown but that the Visitor Center was across the bridge.  Well, you guessed it, by the time I reached the Center they were already closed…I missed it by 20 minutes.  Not a problem, it was getting too late as it were so I decided to spend the night in Redding and then get my Whiskeytown stamp and photo in the morning before continuing on my trip.

Redding was just a few miles away, but first the ride took me through an old tourist town called Shasta that is now an historic site, kinda interesting to see life’s environment from back then.  I arrived into the downtown area and noted a number of motels.  Settling for one on the main street I found it had my price range and it was indeed clean.  Later, when I rode around the town looking for a bite to eat…I came upon an America Best Value Inn advertising a price $5 lower…bummer!

Dinner was KFC….they still are the best with the crusty skin all stripped off and a bucket of whole kernel corn, and it is a lot better than a ‘burger and fries’.  Hmmm, but I’m still not getting enough veggies and fruits!

Hunkering down to look at the maps, I needed to do some considering of which direction to take….I am at a crossroads in my trip.

Ahhh, I love this part….a crossroads!  A decision to make!  What shall it be??
 ….think I’ll sleep on it J.
C ya mañana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Email: GonzoCrossUSA@gmail.com
Cell: 949-433-0761

No comments:

Post a Comment