Thursday, August 18, 2011

Indiana Flat Tire

August 15, 2011
Well, it was inevitable….can’t travel 4500 miles w/o having a flat.  I just wasn’t expecting it on the trailer with new tires on it.
I took the off-ramp to get gas and as I was rolling on the road between the off ramp and the Flying J gas station when I could hear a strange loud humming from the rear of the truck….thot the windows were open…they weren’t….that’s when I knew something was wrong.
As I pulled into the station there was a weight inspector there also and he came over to tell me that I had a flat tire on the trailer…bummer.
Bottom line, the “jack” that I bought from the Irvine RV store won’t work on my trailer.  But Dave Mishler of Dave’s Lawn & Tree service (256) 503-2503 had the kind of jack and was able to get the wheel up for me to change it.  Dave works a lot of the storm areas, hurricanes, etc., in clearing trees and stuff. 
At this point with the tire changed I was ready to hit the road….but I needed a spare.  Again, Dave was a big help as he gave me directions to the local TSC Tractor Supply Center for an extra wheel, a proper jack for the trailer and SUV, and directions to a tire shop that carried the unique trailer tires that I needed.
I now have two spare tires in the trailer and a jack to make the change if there is a reoccurrence of the event. 
BTW, cause was not a nail….but probably from low tire pressure.  Altho I had checked the tires the previous evening and they were at 50 psi, when I rechecked them at the station they were all at 40 psi.  So, each day before rolling, I will check pressure with the gauge.
C ya mañana
Gonzo
twitter:  @GonzoCrossUSA

No comments:

Post a Comment