Saturday, August 13, 2011

Iron Mountain Pucker Factor

August 10, 2011


Alter comino outa Custer State Park I jumped over to Iron Mountain Road.  Holy crap!  This is one helluva twisty, uppy, downy freakin road!  Hairpin turns at 5mph while ascending or descending…not much level road here. 

At first the turns were intimidating but then I began to feel at ease, leaned back and used the engine while leaning into the turn to bring be around tight turns.  As this exciting ride progressed into lanes that could only accommodate 1 bike (You miss an edge and you’re over the side or smacking into trees) and thru one lane holes blasted out of solid rock I began to get a little too comfortable with everything.

No, didn’t crash or anything.  But I’ll probably be constipated for a week.  I was doing about 25-30 mph and hit a turn when I realized the damn road was practically a 360 deg corkscrew turn! F**K!! I couldn’t touch the brakes as I feared the rear would drift into the rail.  Throttled completely down hoping the engine would be effective brake…no, not much, the descent was too steep.  All I could do was lean Sophia so hard that I could feel the runnin board scraping the asphalt.  I made the turn, but after that the last 2 miles was done very slowly.

Back at the room, reflecting on that corkscrew turn, I decided to apply my own corkscrew to a bottle of red….which I’m sippin right now….makes me recall the Jackass’s big brown eye.
C ya mañana
Gonzo
twitter:  @GonzoCrossUSA

1 comment:

  1. Iron Mountain Road is one of those "you have to ride it at some point" pieces of road trip magic. It is quite a road and the corkscrews are wonderful. This link might remind you of riding the road.

    ReplyDelete