Thursday, June 28, 2012

Angry NW Weather Gods

June 22, 2012
Chemult OR

Stopped briefly in Klamath to tank up for the ride to Eugene and then to Tigard.  I really would like to make it to Tigard tonight…and I think I can do it.  But then the weather gods got pissed….and did the same all over me.  I was at the north end of Upper Klamath Lake when the rain started.  It was already cold, but now got a little colder.  Then the rain got even harder and I knew there was no way I could go over the Willamette Pass at 5200 feet.  The temperature was dropping and I was only around 3000 feet and climbing already.

Memory told me that there was only one more town before the OR58 turnoff so I was trying to make that and hope there was a motel there that I could find a vacancy and hole up for the night.  As I rode, I kept alternating my hands down to the engine to warm them; they

were chilled to the bone.  Finally signs showed reduced speed to enter a town, Chemult, and there was an old style motel on the right that had certainly seen better days.  I pulled in and got a room.  Met Bob, the owner, who originated from Van Nuys CA.  The room was clean, warm, dry, and relatively inexpensive….what more could I want….’twas better than tenting.

I started unloading my gear and bags and positioning them in the room. When I removed the bag from the left side of bike the rack rattled against the saddlebag guard rail to which it was anchored.  Darn!  I checked the underside of the interlocking clamp and found that the locktite bolt had fallen out.  Both Jerry and I had tightened these puppies down….so much for locktite bolts!  I’ll have to duct tape it in the morning.

My modus operandi in small hotels like this is to get something to eat (greasy spoon was next door and they made a great hamburger and fries with a vanilla soda) then spread the camping air mattress over the sagging mattress putting an extra pillow or two under the air mattress to get extra support for my back.  Didn’t want to shower…just wanted to eat, warm up and get some sleep.

It was a good night, got excellent rest. The next morning while watching the Weather Channel it seemed that the weather was wet over the pass but great on the coast and I-5.  I decided to go for it….loaded the bike up with all the gear, duct taped the rack to the saddlebag guard, and rolled outa town.

Within 5 minutes a light rain started coming down…another 5 minutes and it was pouring.  But I now had rain riding confidence and pressed on at about 60mph.  Made the turnoff at OR58 and headed for the Willamette Pass and the tunnel. The Harley rain gear I was wearing did a superb job both keeping me warmer and dry! As we ascended through the rain my fingers started getting cold again despite having layers of surgical glove, glove liner and then leather glove.  So I resumed my technique of alternating hands on the handlebars while the other hand hugged the warm engine cylinder chasing the cold numbness away.  Ahhhh, this is so much Fun !! J.

Briefly got concerned when reaching the tunnel.  It is only open to alternating one lane traffic while the other lane is being chewed up.  But upon entering I could see that the pavement was fine on the one lane, not like the Sequoia adventure.
The descent was most welcome….temperature started rising and the rain became less and less finally disappearing completely.  Rolled into Eugene and rode around Duckland until I chanced upon a Pancake House to park the bike at. 

Inside I was able to remove the rain gear but kept the leathers on.  Ordered 2 eggs and coffee.  Waitress asked, “is that all?” “Yes” I replied.  “just 2 eggs?”  “Yes, just two eggs” “That’s all?” “”yes, with the coffee” “Are you sure?” “yes, and please bring the coffee now….I’m cold” “Ok, just two eggs and coffee” “yes, that’s it, thank you”.  It was the most challenging order I had ever placed in a restaurant…almost like 5 Easy Pieces.  I figured she was a graduate student at the local college….oh that wasn’t nice….lets just say I’m exaggerating.

Back out on the I-5 the weather was great and sped it up to 75 and reached Tigard without further incident.

The neat part about the Pancake House was ASICS was having some kind of promotion and was paying for all coffee ordered by customers.  At least that is what the cute waitress said.  Or maybe she had a little sympathy for a cold and tired looking old Homeless Harley rider.

I’ll take the sympathy wherever I can get it J.
C ya mañana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Email: GonzoCrossUSA@gmail.com
Cell: 949-433-0761

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sending an EM to us to let us know u r updating ur blog. I will be gone Sunday 7/1/12 to go up to Cape Breton, Canada. thought maybe I could meet u on the way to Madawaska but probably bad timing.

    GREAT logs! You have an entertaining way to write ur stuff. Thanks! A pleasure to read.

    BuzzCap7

    ReplyDelete