Saturday, June 30, 2012

Battling the Rain Gods…..Again !!


June 30, 2012
Medford OR 

Departed Tigard around 11am after a nice breakfast with the family.  The skies were cloudy but all was dry and warm.  So I didn’t don the rain gear…just leathers.  That was fine until about 20 miles north of Eugene when the rain started hitting me.  I made it to a gas station and put the gear on…including the Harley boot covers and face mask.  Two good moves as the rain varied from off, drizzle, light rain, medium rain, and then heavy rain.  I stayed warm and dry the whole time….I’m sure I looked like a bundled up bunny.  One time, when it was not raining, another Harley went by me weaving in and out of cars.  It was a chopper with apes and the rider was in jeans, tshirt, helmet and goggles.  He gave me a look of disdain as he passed me and Sophia as we cruised along at 65mph.  Oh well, I guess I’ll never qualify for the cajones club. 
The whole trip was buffeting wind, rain, curves at 45mph, descents, climbs.  I was getting tired so I stopped at Roseburg for a Subway and to tank up.  As I parked at the Subway the rain stopped.  Ate half my sandwich saving the other half for dinner and walked out to suit up and depart….it started raining as I pulled out.  It was raining so hard that I pulled in under a Texaco station under construction and let it weaken a little before bouncing back on the I-5 south.

By the time I hit Medford I was tired.  My head was aching from the ¾ helmet despite it being an XL.  My head is relatively small but I guess the long hair and doo rag is making it too tight.  Gotta find a solution to this predicament if I intend to do long distances even in the rain. 
Here’s a plug for Harley gear that always has it logo over everything and inevitably is more expensive than other similar products.  All the gear I am wearing is made by Harley….and they are of the best quality and perform exactly as needed.  Guess that’s why I keep returning to their stores. 
Hope it’s dry tomorrow….would like to do some miles!
C ya mañana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Cell: 949-433-0761

No comments:

Post a Comment