Thursday, June 28, 2012

On the Road Again

June 17/18, 2012 Father’s Day
Bakersfield/Sequoia National Park

I finally made it….finally got on Sophia, my Harley Road King, and headed north out of Orange County. There was a lot to finish at home before I could actually depart. Some things are still left undone, but they are minor things….the kids are going to be much more comfortable now.

Of all days it was Father’s Day. But I was able to spend most of the day with the kids and
grand kids plus I made it up to Santa Monica to have dinner with my son….he treated me to a Mexican dinner at El Torrito’s. I was back on the 405 by 7pm heading for Bakersfield. I decided to stay at a motel the first night to get a little organized and more familiar with my gear.

The next morning I slept in a little, and then started planning the next leg of the trip. Am glad to have done that as my earlier plan had me heading in to the south end of the forest; it would’ve taken me forever to reach a campsite. The new plans got me to Three Rivers and the Foothill entrance to Sequoia National Park. Being a Senior lifetime member I only had to show my card and pay NADA . At the visitors center the lady volunteer there suggested I camp at Buckeye as the night temperature at the Lodge was going to be in the mid-forties. She convinced me in about 2 seconds!

The camp was only half full upon arrival at 4pm. I picked out a site and while maneuvering the bike for an easy egress I managed to lay it down…damn! Fortunately Mike and Martin, who are camping next to me with their wives, are two strong young men. I unloaded the gear and then we righted her easily. 

The right side of the fairing, the oval protrusion by the speaker, got roughed up. Later when paying for my campsite the senior discount kicked in again and I only had to pay $9 instead of $18. Sweet!

Camp set-up took some time. I have a lot of gear and am challenged to remember which bag contains which items. Hopefully it will get better as time goes along. Dinner was a can of tuna fish and mixed vegetables. Water here seems to be from the well as it is very fresh tasting. Which is unlike the water from the hotel, it had a chlorine taste to it. So I emptied the tap water from the recycled Coke bottle and the camelback water pack and refilled them with the camp’s well water.

Night is now upon the camp. Mosquitos are out….but the spray “Off” seems to be working. It is time to go to my tent and get some sleep. Tomorrow will be Kings Canyon. And I need to get info on Yosemite….seems the campsites are all reserved….bummer.

Hope Sophia is not too upset with me…..but frankly, I don’t think she likes having the fairing on her.
C ya mañana
Gonzo
twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
email: GonzoCrossUSA@gmail.com
cell: 949-433-0761

1 comment:

  1. Maybe your not "Sophie's Choice", eh?

    ReplyDelete