Thursday, June 28, 2012

Giant in the Sunlight

June 19, 2012
King’s Canyon

The ride on to Kings Canyon went well.  Speeds were very moderate…don’t think I ever saw a limit exceeding 35.  The air was nice and cool at this altitude despite the sun burning down on me and Sophia.  The scenery, whenever I could see through the massive trees was awesome.   

Coming around a bend I spotted a large turnout area and pulled over to take a break and drink some water and found a photo op.  On the opposite side of the road, basking in direct sunlight was a huge Sequoia gleaming red as could be for the world to see.   

I repositioned the bike to the other side of the road, in front of the Redwood giant, just as a car pulled in and parked up ahead of me.  I asked the gentleman as he got out if he would mind taking a photo for me and when he replied with a “be glad to” I detected an accent.  His name was Leon and he was from Barcelona Spain.  He had his young daughter with him and they were riding the Sequoias in a rented convertible having a good time.  I think he did a great job getting the photo for me J. 



How to describe the ride through these hallowed Sequoia forests?  Serene, forest scented air, sunlight streaming through branches accentuating the road between the shadows, the blue sky above, an open road in front and behind me…..ahhhh, this is goodness J 
Arrival at King’s Canyon Visitor Center in Grant’s Grove was soon accomplished without any further stops (I have been to these places once before) and I had a photo taken in front of a small sign…this should qualify as verification for the SC-MA Parks Adventure for which I am visiting these national parks, along with the Kings Canyon stamp obtained at the Visitors Center.   

I bought some beef jerky and a Coke at the village market then kicked Sophia’s tires and lit her fires and steered her down the road for Yosemite.  

As I winded my way down the mountain on Hwy 180 towards Fresno I could feel the air temperature inversely rising with descending altitude.  But it was still comfortable having the air flowing over me with its cooling effect…plus I was treated to amazing views of the central valley. 

I don’t have reservations for camp grounds nor campsites in or around Yosemite…sure hope I get lucky J
C ya mañana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Cell: 949-433-0761

No comments:

Post a Comment