Thursday, June 28, 2012

Lava Beds NP

June 22, 2012
Lava Beds NP 

Woke up around 3am….a noise in the campsite.  Seemed Dell was up throwing wood on his fire.  I was warm…but not totally comfortable.  As I wiggled around inside the jungle bag I could look out through the mosquito net that was zipped shut and see the clear sky.  My feet felt trapped inside the folded sheet inside the zipped jungle sleeping bag.  Half asleep I tried to move my feet free, still felt trapped, then the claustrophobia set in.  I tried deep breathing, relaxing, telling my feet all is ok.  Didn’t work.  I felt trapped….got my hands free out of the bag and pulled the zipper down.  Got the towel off of my head, tried to breathe and relax….to no avail.  It felt like the one man tent was closing in on me.  I had to get out….but it was freaking cold out there.  An alternative came to mind…..unzip the mosquito net door.  Twisting around in the bag I was able to get my hand on the zippers and open it fully then push my body further up out from under the tent top.  Ahhh, sweet air, clear sky, stars aplenty.  I contemplated the Milky Way, the billions of stars, multi billions of planets, life beyond earth, innumerable species, unlimited new Gods for species to worship….I fell asleep. 

Woke up to a cold morning and overcast sky and had to wear my gloves while breaking camp.  Which went pretty quick, seems it is getting to be more of a routine.  Ranger Steve stopped by to chat and when I told him I was heading to the Lava Beds via CA299 and CA139 he suggested a shortcut that would save me an hour or so.  He said that just past Beiber, at the Red Barn (which has great coffee) head north on the country road.  It is paved and will bring me out on CA139 just south of the CA97 turnoff for Lava NP. Armed with that advice and dressed with the leathers I rolled out of camp and out of Lassen.

It was a long ride to ‘Mills’ and I began to think I was heading in a wrong direction.  But finally CA299 showed up and I headed east to ‘Mills’ and tanked up.  The owner of the station was BBQing large pieces of beef and advised me to run about another 4 miles down 299 to have a nice ham and eggs breakfast.

Having not eaten much last night I wanted to put a good meal inside of me for the ride to Lava.  The café was non-descript but a local favorite….possibly ‘cuz it was the only one around.  The ham, eggs, potatoes and coffee was excellent.  Took care of cell phone business, yadayada, and then went out to restart my run. 

No sooner had I sat in the saddle and turned the switches on the rain drops began sprinkling on me!  So I got back off and put the rain gear on over the leathers….wow, another good decision as I got hit with rain about 3-4 times before finally reaching the 97 turnoff for Lava.  97 is a very tired road, its youth had been torn up by previous traffic.  Within a few miles the CA10 showed up which would lead me 14 miles up to the Lava Bed Visitor’s Center. This road was worse…it was beyond tired…it was exhausted.  Best speed I could muster on it was about 10mph. I advise all to avoid entering Lava NP from the south.  I almost had a head-on with a pickup truck barreling over a rise on my side of the road avoiding a big hole on his side of the road. The driver saw me in time (I was hitting brakes] and swerved his truck back over to his side in plenty of time. 

I finally reached the Center and had my passbook stamped for the SC-MA and Ranger Barbara took a photo for me.  She and her husband live in Tioneste down on the Co97, own and operates the Eagle Nest RV campgrounds there, and rides the bumpy, holey Co10 to work at the Park. 

I wasted little time heading out of Lava only north this time on the Co10 through the park, for Klamath Falls and eventually US97N through OR heading for Eugene and Tigard to visit family.

I'm finally getting out of CA....but will be back in about 10 days.
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Cell: 949-433-0761

1 comment:

  1. The lava tubes are cool on a hot summer day, but dark!

    ReplyDelete