Thursday, June 28, 2012

Getting out of Sequoia NP

June 18, 2012
Sequoia National Park

Woke up at 6am and started breaking camp.  15minutes later visitors started stopping by.  First was Ranger John, then Raymond of Bakersfield.  Raymond and his family were in the site next to mine.  Then Ranger Ernie came by and he chatted of his days in the military and his Harley riding back in ‘42 when he was 15. 

I kept working away at setting my load and strapping it all down while everyone was swapping stories.  A glance at my watch as I was departing showed 8:20am which meant that I would make it in time for the hourly let through at the construction site. 

The ride up the mountain was full of hairpin turns with speeds posted at 15 and 25.  It was certainly slow going.  My arrival at the construction starting point was 8:50 so I had 10 minutes remaining.  There were people from China there and they were admiring the bike while I was chatting with (Ok, I can’t remember if it was Mark or John) and his wife Marilyn.  They’re from Phoenix AZ and ride a Gold Wing.  John (Mark?) owns a food store in the city and is able to take occasional time off to go on trips.  I hope they check out the blog so they can correct my faulty memory for names. 

Cars at the head of the line started coming to life so I jumped on the bike and got her started (which is why I didn’t write John/Mark’s name down) and we began our advancement to the beginning of the construction.  As I entered the construction road I knew I was going to be challenged.   



The road was pretty much torn up, wet slick with mud, sand, gravel, narrow passage for one car, wheel ruts, holes and hairpin climbing turns.  I have no idea how long the ride was, but it seemed that we were only moving at 5 miles an hour and it probably took 30 minutes.  About 10 minutes from the end I was confronted with a tight, left hand, ascending hairpin turn, all slick with water mixed in the soil and I knew I couldn’t make the turn.  There was a large open area on the outside of the turn and I decided to head there then back the bike out to line it up with the road after the hairpin.  As I stopped the bike to begin angling it backward the wheels went out and the bike toppled over.  I was able to clear my leg in time and shut the motor off.  Fortunately, there were 4 construction crewmen there and they helped upright the bike and I continued to the finish, but not without more adventure. 

About 5 minutes from the finish my front wheel started to slide into a rut/hole and I was able to put my foot down and push hard to remain upright!  Sure was an experience I wouldn’t want to do again with this load….or without the load for that matter!

I made it to Lodgepole and got a pic of me with the sign in the back.  My thanks to Charlotte from Norfolk for taking it and for her husband’s patience.

Next stop is King’s Canyon.

Sophia fairing is now scraped on both sides…..I think she definitely doesn’t like the fairing. J
C ya mañana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Cell: 949-433-0761

1 comment:

  1. Glad to be able to take the photo for you! Hope the rest of your trip goes well. We headed to Yosemite Valley and thought the same thing. Too many people and crazy! Nice to see views . . . but will stay out of the valley.
    Charlotte, Norfolk, VA

    ReplyDelete