Thursday, June 28, 2012

Heading North to Lassen Volcanic NP


Jun2 21, 2012
Camp Crag, Lassen Volcano NP 

Coming down the CA120 out of Yosemite was a nice treat.  Plenty of curves in the road as it descended down the mountain.  The temperature slowly warmed up and by the time I reached Oakdale I called it a day and looked for a motel.  Lassen Volcanic NP was a long ways north and there was no way I could make it today. 

Found a Motel 6, that used to be a Quality Inn, and checked ln noting a restaurant was right next door.  While unloading I met Wayne who was also rolling in from the Valley on his softail Harley.  Tomorrow he’s heading to Pleasantville to visit family.  After unloading I had a delicious hamburger in the Ryderz Family Restaurant and planned to have breakfast there also.  Afterwards, out by the bikes, Wayne showed up again to chat and Steve Bustos of Wildcat Excavation out of Las Vegas NM.  He and sweetheart were heading across Yosemite to Reno/Carson.  He wasn't sure if there were gas stops along the way or not.  Hopefully he was able to tank up in the Valley....and survive the crazies running around there.

Woke up at 5am full of energy and ready to start.  The first thing I did
was to get on the computer and figure out my plan for getting to Lassen and then Lava.  I found a motel in Fall River Mills and made a reservation there…cost $78 for the night.  But I figured I would be warm as the Lassen temperature is forecast to drop into the low 40’s.  After the planning I went over to Ryderz and had eggs, bacon, pancakes and coffee.  It was a good way to start the day….just in case I don’t get to eat much while on the road….like yesterday where I only had the hamburger and fries last night. 

Loading the bike got a little better, the organization and habitual use of bungee cords is beginning to fall into place.  After loading up I took another shower then suited up and began my ride.  Took the 120 to the 99 north to Stockton where I will decide to continue on 99 to Chico or peel off onto the I-5.

When Stockton showed up it was an easy decision and I headed onto the I-5.  Lassen closes its Visitor’s Center at 6pm and the ride will take about 6 hours.  And that is exactly what it took me as I arrived at Lassen at 4:40.  Went inside and got the passbook stamped and had a Pepsi…..so far it has been 8 hours without eating, so it was definitely needed for the sugar level as well as a nice refreshment.  Back on the bike I headed north on 49 and toured the whole park.  A number of times I stopped just to take in the sights and to do Kodak moments.  Coming upon a turnout I met Steve, his wife Carol and daughter Jasmine photographing insects…..they gladly volunteered to take a photo for me with Lassen Peak in background.

Speed limits here are 10, 15 in the hairpins and 35 straightaways.  At the north end of the park 45 is permitted.  The air was cool…I was wearing the Bohn body armor with a long sleeve Harley T-shirt covered with a short sleeve, and jeans.  After passing over the 8000 foot pass and dropping into the back side of the mountains (shady) it started to get a little too cool so I stopped and put on the leather jacket.  While doing that a car zipped by me at about 40-50mph.  Two young guys having fun on the curves but being a danger to the rest of us.

It was still about 20 minutes to get out of the park and then I would have about an hour ride to Fall River Mills where the motel was located.  As I continued down the road I saw a flashing red and blue light ahead…the two young guys were getting a ticket J. 

A little bit later I came upon Crag’s Campsite and decided to pull into it and check it out.  The sites were very clean, well spaced from one another, and there were at least 20 sites available. The temperature was forecasted for the low 40’s so I was debating on whether to stay or ride to the motel.  My last experience in Wawona was a cold restless night.  But that was because I hadn’t anticipated the drop in temperature.  Deciding to experiment and get the experience I decided to stay.  I planned on keeping my clothes on with the Harley long sleeve and dungaree jacket on, and also to place the poncho over the sleeping bag to further keep warmth in.

I picked a spot that would allow Sophia to be nose high with the slope also rising to the left.  The land for my tent was the way I liked it…slightly sloping downward.  Camp was pitched more quickly and then I tried to eat a can of Amour Ham…ughhh, way too salty!

Dell, from the next camp site, came over and introduced himself.  He offered to start a fire for me…seems he has a flamethrower and loves to use it. I declined despite wanting to see the flamer in action. Dell has a Sportster and hopes someday to get a touring Harley to ride the country.  With my gear all stored away in the Bear Resistance Locker I crawled into the tent with all my clothing, jacket, poncho, and even the towel to lay over my bandana’d head to add to the warmth and went to sleep.

Tonight’s experience may be valuable when I camp in the Iowa/Montana Rockies in September.
C ya mañana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Cell: 949-433-0761

No comments:

Post a Comment