Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Grapevine Gas Thieves


July 2, 2012

Lake Forest CA

Yuma AZ

Left Kettleman’s early with the sun shining….how nice.  Headed south and immediately hit the construction one lane delays….except there were none at this hour on a Monday morning.  Rode all the way to the Grapevine and missed the exit where the In-N-Out is located.  But took the next one and found a Denny’s there….so I treated myself to a good breakfast.

When I went to fill up (I wanted a full tank to go over the big hill….just in case) at the Shell station I was shocked to see they were charging $4.80 a gallon.  That is pure thievery!

The ride over the hill went fine.  But getting through Burbank was hell.  The roads are really rough and traffic is crazy.  Downtown LA was flowing good but again, crazy drivers all in a hurry.  I should write a note about the franticness of Americans when on the road.  Anyhow, I was unable to merge to the left for the I-5 continuation and was forced to go onto the I-10W.  So I took the first exit and ended up in no man’s land.  Left turns weren’t allowed so I just went into a recycling place and backed the bike out onto the road and headed to where I thot there might be a ramp.  Oops, no luck….but found a road going parallel under the freeway and got lucky…a ramp directly to the I-5!  As I headed towards OC I noticed the other side of the freeway heading into LA was bumper to bumper at a slow crawl.  And it is only 2pm.

Finally in OC I stopped first at the Harley store to buy a pair of goggles that can fit over eyewear for my night riding.  Also tried to get a mount for the Garmin that I bought….but no luck.

Back home it was good to see the kids and grand kids.  They welcomed me warmly and treated me to a Thai dinner and a glass of Modelo…nice!

I tagged up with Jerry, my neighbor down the street and we decided to put clamps on the flag poles near the point where the one had cracked.  We used standard hose clamps with a tightening screw and it looked like it was going to do the job. 

I began sorting my gear and eliminating items that I didn’t use or need.  This lightened my load a lot.  Also began attacking mail and paying bills, yadayada. 

The next morning was more of the same with business at the bank, clearing stuff out of the back yard, doing all the little construction cleanup things that the kids can’t do so Jerry and I took care of it.

It was 4:00 pm when I finally departed for San Ysidro, San Diego.  The ride south was actually cold and very congested with traffic.  When I arrived at the town I obtained all the needed stuff, phone number of Coco’s, gas receipt and went to the PO for a photo and mailing the form letter of evidence to the SCMA.   

While there another rider, Andre Gareau from Ottawa Canada, arrived from Key West heading for Blaine.  So we took pics of each other and exchanged stories.  He warned me of going over the pass on the I-8 that it was very cold.  So I wore my rain jacket since it is a great windbreaker and I was fine. 

It was a long ride to Yuma to the hotel where I had a reservation but I made it finally around midnight and got a good rest. 

Hope tomorrow is a little better.
C ya mañana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Email: GonzoCrossUSA@gmail.com
Cell: 949-433-0761

No comments:

Post a Comment