Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Troll

July 4, 2012
Las Cruces

As I headed out of Yuma, around 10am or so, I saw that it had rained during the night.  I was expecting a lot of heat but again, I got a little lucky with having a solid overcast….hence it was a cool ride without a lot of desert heat beating upon my sore back.

Other than horrendous cross winds the ride was uneventful until reaching Tucson.  I was wearing chaps and the rain jacket cuz it was sprinkling on and off along the way.  Entering the outskirts of Tucson I could see a dark cloud ahead and figured it would be a passable run through it.  Boy, was I ever wrong!

The thunderstorm hit me hard.  Visibility really decreased so I put the flashers on and hoped to get an off ramp soon….and I did, within .2 miles one showed up.  I slowly worked my way off to the stop sign and saw a gas station about 50 yards away….headed for it and just made it in when the downpour got even worse.  I parked Sophia under the overhang ad took the helmet off.  I was soaked wherever the chaps didn’t cover me.  Yes, my butt was experiencing the wet clothes feeling J. 

As I took my helmet off I noticed another bike on the other side of the pumps and looking towards the building saw this fella standing on the side of the building next to a yucca plant, under the eaves, smoking a cigarette.  I think I found the owner of the other bike.


He looked like I felt….soaking wet.  He had no chaps and no jacket..so I was a little better off.  I joined him under the eaves and we chatted before I invited him in to have a cup of coffee.  He told me his story as we sipped, his uncle had just passed and he was in Tucson closing his affairs then heading back to Mesa when the TS caught him.  I forget his real name, but I he’s riding a Dyna and is a happy camper now after getting out of the slammer for 17 years where he picked up the moniker “Troll”.  I meet some of the nicest people as I continue on my journey J.


The rain let up so we took some pics of us and then we headed down the Interstate in different directions.  I think I can make Las Cruces so I’m headed there. 

Many, many windy and gusty miles later I got into the outskirts of Las Cruces and pulled off into a rest stop to remove the rain gear.  The place was packed!  No parking spots.  Truckers were entering and just continuing onto the exit.  Seems like there was some kinda party going on.  I parked Sophia in a Fire Lane and made it just in time to the Boy’s Room.  When I came out I looked around and saw that we were actually on a hilltop overlooking the city…I figured all the lovers were up here where it was cooler for them to spoon and enjoy the views.  Then I saw the fireworks…Holy Crap!  It’s the 4th!!  Totally forgot all about it.  I watched a little then removed the raingear and enjoyed a nice ride down the hill into the city. 

I like Las Cruces…quaint, historical, and loves to issue photo enforced speeding tickets.  I know cuz I got one here 3 years ago when I came to visit the Harley Store.  I found my Comfort Inn and called it a day.

Happy Fireworks everybody J
C ya mañana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Cell: 949-433-0761

No comments:

Post a Comment