Friday, July 20, 2012

Finished The USA Four Corners Tour !!!

July 16/17, 2012
Madawaska ME

Rolled out of Bangor ME around 9:30am on the 16th and leisurely rode north on the I-95.  No traffic per se, just the occasional car/truck/18 wheeler heading north.  Most appear to be going on camping trips (or returning) and a few Canadian license plates heading home.

The weather was perfect!  Overcast, chance of rain, low 70s.  I should expect to see my first rain up around Carribou or so.  The ride should take about 4 hours so I kept the speed around 70-75 while on the interstate. 


Along the way there was a scenic view stop that gave a tremendous view of Northern Maine and Mt. Katahdin that gets up to around 5300 feet or so.  I didn’t take any pics and arrived at Houlton on schedule.  This is where the I-95 terminates at the Canadian border and the trip north has to be done on US-1. 

While getting ready to depart the Bangor motel I sent emails and text messages to Joe LaChance.  Joe is the originator/builder/maintainer of the famous Four Corners Park located in Madawaska. Joe is a local   businessman who invests in local apartments and is also a motorcycle enthusiast. Checking my texts I saw that he responded and that we’ll be able to meet and have a meal together.

The ride north from Houlton on US-1 was a beautiful scenic one of the St. John’s River and valley with views of the Canadian hillside across the river.  Unfortunately US-1 has not been maintained well over the years and the harsh weather has taken its toll upon the asphalt.  Fortunately, construction crews are busy on many sections doing repairs and rebuilds.  Ultimately it took almost 3 hours to reach Madawaska and I only got rained on twice….just rode through it without the raingear….which means I really got wet on the 2nd one!

Joe was at the Park when I called from the Gulf gas station right across the way.  So I finished tanking up and rode across the highway and up the very steep driveway to the park.  There were two other riders there; Jimmy Tragle from Whaley MD and Dennis Watts from Laurel DE.  They decided to run up to Maine to see the park and once here, are planning to attempt it next year.

After giving a quick tour of the pavers in the park, Joe signed and awarded me a certificate of being at the Park and we had our photo taken in front of the monument.  So he made me a very happy camper J.  I then departed for the PO and mailed my forms to the SCMA just as they were closing. From there a quick ride to Martin’s Motel and unloading some of the gear before calling Joe to go to dinner.

We ate at Tang’s, a Chinese Buffet, and I was stunned at the classy interior since the exterior portrays a place one would not want to go into. (Never judge a book by its cover!)  Tang’s is a supporter of the Park so I urge all riders to stop there and enjoy a very delicious meal.

On the way back to Martin’s I passed by the Park and noticed two riders up there.  I decided to go up and say hello and had the pleasure of meeting Kyle “Gabby” Hayes from Pensacola FL and Allan Disher from Cincinnati OH.  Gabby is the 2nd person I have met on this trip that served in the USMC and was also a CH-46 pilot…what a small world this is.

Afterwards I settled down in my room, and with my celebratory bottle of wine sat on Martin’s veranda enjoying the view of Canada and watched the sun set in the west Canadian Hills.  This part of the USA gives one views of Canada both to the west and to the east. 

Before calling it a night I checked TWC and found that tomorrow would be all rain with multiple thunderstorms.  So I decided to spend one more day in Madawaska and contacted Jean (owner) to request another night’s stay.  Unfortunately, the motel is all booked up.  But she gave me a number to the Gateway Inn just 2 miles south of the city proper and I was able to get a room reserved.  This is where I am sitting now working on my blogs and getting all updated.

It has been raining all day here.  And south of here, along my route, are severe weather warnings of thunderstorms and possible hail.  Tomorrow is supposed to be much better so in the morning I will head west to the end of US-1 at Ft. Kent then head south on ME-11 and connect with I-95 to Bangor.  I hope to make it to the Harley dealer at Hermon and get another oil change, 2nd one on this trip, the first one being at Boerne TX. Here’s a photo of me sitting under the motel’s eaves trying to blog as the rain continues to come down.
C ya mañana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Cell: 949-433-0761

No comments:

Post a Comment