Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Twisted Sisters


July 6, 2012
Kerrville TX

I like that title….if it doesn’t grab ya what will?

Let me explain what this is all about.  In addition to the USA Four Corners ride I am also attempting the 15 Best USA Rides.  These rides are super scenic and are spread across the USA.  VT, VA, TN, SD, MT, ID, WY, UT, NV, WA, CA, AZ, CO and TX.  If I ride all of them this year I will receive a recognition from the SCMA.  The Three Sisters are located in TX and are TX335, 336, and 337.  They are located about 25 miles from the I-10 so I am going to take a day from the Four Corners and ride the Sisters.

These three roads are a challenge, not for the inexperienced or the foolhardy.  As the photos will show later, signs warn of what has happened to others in the past.  They actually are not that bad.  Yes, very twisty, ascending, descending, narrow and ripe for an accident if you are a foolish rider.  Proper speed must be adhered to otherwise loss of control will occur.

Before leaving Ft Stockton I called a KOA campsite and made a camping reservation for the night.  I was full of confidence that I could reach Junction, run the Three Sisters and make it into Kerrville at dusk to camp for the night.  I was in for a late surprise!


I arrived in Junction at 1:30pm, hungry and thirsty.  So I chowed down at a chicken spot and drank a ton of water. Then headed down TX377 to the 41 to meet the first of the Three Sisters TX335.  I must admit that there was a little anxiety about this…but riding the 377 was a good warm up for the Sisters.  377 is not extreme but it does have some good turns and climbs/descents and it gave me some confidence in my riding ability.

One thing I noticed here on these TX roads….there are a lot of historical markers.  I never stopped to read one…no time…but thot it interesting. 

Upon reaching 335 I headed out on it but soon stopped to remove my jacket…the heat had built up by this time in the afternoon.  335 was very picturesque…and had a spectacular rollercoaster section that I enjoyed.  The twists finally showed up while climbing one of the BIG hills and then it all ended and I rolled into Camp Wood where I picked up the 337 heading to Leakey (pronounced Lay key).  This was a very boring road, or so I thought, and finally, the twists showed up….wow! these were tight!  Again, beautiful vistas are there to be seen…but be sure to keep your eyes on the road! 



Leakey finally arrived and I rode some on the 83N before turning around heading south where I found the gas station on the other side of the 337. Next was the 336, but first I stopped at D’Rose Inn to meet Deb, owner and PhD and biker.  I had called earlier for a reservation but none were available.  But I stopped by, met Deb, chatted briefly and she said a cancellation had made a cabin available…but I declined as I preferred to camp in the pleasant weather. 

Back out on the road, 83 north at the edge of town is the left fork that is the 336.  Again, boring at first, and then WOW!  Twisties galore culminating with an across the hill top ride providing gorgeous vistas of the Hill Country.  I had wanted to get a photo of me and Prade Ranch but came upon it too quickly before I realized I had passed it.  However, I got this photo of a sign on the southbound side….am glad I didn’t see it before I had started…it would’ve made me more anxious. 


336 ended on the 41 and I headed east to intercept the 83 south back to Leakey for another gas receipt and then east on the 337 to finish the run.

Again, I was fooled.  The map just shows a nice line all the way to Medina.  I figured on being in Kerrville within an hour or so….WRONG!

More twisties and climbs with the reverse once at the summit and heading down the other side to Medina.  At the peak I saw a picnic turnoff area so I stopped for a photo break….but couldn’t get one through the trees.  And the other side had the blazing sun obscuring a photo image.  And this is when I found the other warning sign….even more worse than 336’s warning.


I made it into Medina at dusk and saw what looked like an abandoned gas station up for sale so I pulled in there for some photo’s to prove I was there.  While doing that, the door off to the side opened and an elderly gentleman stepped out.  I apologized for using his property but he was fine with it.  We took some photo of each other.  His name is Jay and he gave me some great advice.

Due to the late hour, soon to be dark, he suggested NOT to take 16 north as it is also a twisty road plus the deer are out at this hour making it very dangerous.  He suggested I go south on the 16 to flashing yellows and take a very local road east to 173 north into Kerrville.  These two roads are more friendly to night riding and I safely arrived at the KOA at 10:30pm, set up my camp site and went to sleep.   

This was quite a day…am glad the Sisters is completed.  Tomorrow I head to Boerne TX for a Harley oil change and then off to a Beaumont motel.
C ya mañana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Cell: 949-433-0761

No comments:

Post a Comment