Monday, July 23, 2012

Gorgeous Summer Maine

July 18, 2012
Dixfield ME
Loaded Sophia and rode north to Frenchville where I had spotted a family restaurant when I was venturing around the local area on my day of arrival.  My treat for successful USA Four Corners completion was eggs over medium, potatoes with onions, thick slice of ham, and multigrain toast with unlimited coffee.  ‘Twas soooo good. 

While eating I reviewed my route for the day to reach Hermon west of Bangor and get my oil changed at Central Harley.  And then I attacked the blog updating effort with a vengeance.  From there I then went to Tim Horton’s and ordered a coffee and some donut holes and was able to post about half the stories with pics before my 10am departure time arrived. 

On US1 I headed north then south then west to its termination in Fort Kent.  This was the beginning of a nice ride with easy speeds around 55, gentle turns, dips and climbs. Beautiful vistas of the St. Johns Valley area and Canadian hills as well as Maine’s country side and a nice road surface.

At Ft. Kent I turned south on ME-11 and was treated to some great spectacles!  Just before Portage I crested a mountain summit and gasped at the panorama of Maine that was laid out before me.  Absolutely beautiful.  And regrettably, I didn’t stop to take a pic.  Also passed by Eagle Lake which is very picturesque sitting inbetween the mountains. At one spot there was a family splashing about having fun on inner tubes.  I honked the horn and waved and they all waved back.                                                                    

Highway 11 seemed to take forever and I finally saw a sign to make a left turn for the 95.  This didn’t seem right to me as the map displayed the road going all the way south and then intercepting the 95.  So I continued straight and again, it seemed to take forevvverrr.   and I began getting a little concerned as I entered a small town and saw no evidence of I-95. A roadside ice cream shoppe showed up and I spied two middle aged ladies sitting at a picnic table under a tree near the road enjoying their cones. I slowed down, steered over onto the shoulder, cut the engine and gave them a cheery “good afternoon”. They responded to my ’95’ query with instructions to continue straight ahead for a little less than ‘forever’ and I will see the connection on the left.  About 6-8 miles later the road split and an arrow directed the 11 as heading to the right.  I almost took it when I spied a ‘95’ sign a bit into the left turn of the road…then I saw the I-95 about 200 yards away.  A gas station was also on there so I tanked up both Sophia and myself and then rumbled into the up ramp and headed south to Bangor about 80 miles away.

I reached Bangor and turned off onto US-2 heading for the Central H-D and arrived about 4pm.  Unfortunately, since I was supposed to be there at 2pm, they gave my slot away to another customer and they were unable to squeeze me in.  Bummer, but there were other Harley dealers in Vermont so I will give them I try. 

Back on the road I continued west on 2 and had an absolutely delightful ride!  Gentle hills and curving roads weaved thru the New England country side and small towns,,,,this was the America I wanted to see.   

I reached Dixfield around 7:30 and easily found the The Mountain View Campground. The owners, George and Polly Welch, are real sweethearts.  Their campgrounds are immaculate and with excellent facilities…restrooms, showers and pool….all for only $22.  There were only a few RVers in the grounds and the tenting area was completely empty.  So I picked a nice spot with a picnic table near some pine trees and also near the restrooms and shower and began setting up camp.  Here’s a pick of the mountains that can be viewed from my tent….it reminds me of something…



One of the first things I did was to power up the notebook on so I could have it ready for writing and posting to my blog.  And this is when a mini nightmare started…..the screen stayed dark, with a note in the middle advising me the system had to be restored!  A couple of clicks more and the system went into self-evaluation and restoration.  So I continued on with my camp set up but kept glancing at the screen noting it was working on fixing itself. 

I got the tent set up, bags arranged back on the bike and the cover draped over all of it in the event it rains during the night, and discovered another note on the screen.  It seems that battery power was not sufficient for the restoration and the screen was advising me to connect to the power adapter.  So off I went to the office and found an outlet near a picnic table at the door.  I plugged it in, and clicked ‘continue’ and was presented with a full screen menu of restoration options, help options, and hard drive back up. 

I panicked!  Holy crap…what is the implication of all these options???  I made a call to David, my Boeing buddy and computer guru but there was no answer.  Now I was getting frantic and concerned something could really go bad…so I selected the backup option….and that took a good 20-30 minutes. Then I remember that Peggy knows computers so I called her.  After reading the various options to her, she helped me select the best one and later that night the system finished restoring itself.  So all is well…..hope this doesn’t happen again L!

The sun completely set while working on the computer with Peggy so I’m glad that I got the tent all set up.  My dinner for the night was around 10pm and consisted of a cold can of beans and chili.  Sounds horrible but it actually was very good.  Oh, silly me, I was famished…so of course it was very good J. 

After washing up I crawled into my tent and went to sleep trying to recall what those mountains reminded me of….hmmmmm.
C ya maƱana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Cell: 949-433-0761

No comments:

Post a Comment