Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Bridge across LA

July 8, 2012
Diamondhead MS

Oh my gosh! What a rainstorm day and experience!

As I pulled out of the motel in Beaumont the rain started with a light sprinkle.  I already had the raingear on cuz the clouds forecasted rain.  About 20 miles from the LA border it was raining a little harder.  I-10 is pretty much on a bridge across that whole state!  Just so much swamp.  Obviously I exaggerate, but here’s why.


Heading into Lake Charles there is about a 10 mile bridge, all level, that carries the I-10 from TX into LA.  There are no off ramps and no shoulders.  And it was here that the clouds decided to really open the valves and give me one helluva Kohler moment.

The pouring was so bad that even cars had their flashers on as they slowed down.  This downpour was at the intensity of the TS in Tucson but it was sustaining for the whole 10 miles.  Somehow I made it across all that and took the first exit to hole up at a gas station.  While there a traveler showed me how to load the TWC weather radar map so I could see what conditions are on the road ahead.

I reached Diamondhead around 5pm and Neal was waiting at the exit to lead me through the community to his MS condo where he is holed up while writing a book about HR in the corporate world.

He is such a gracious host.  Took me to a seafood dinner on the bay, gave me some excellent KY bourbon, and in the morning made us a delicious breakfast. 

I finally loaded up, said my goodbye with the promise to see him in Nashville on my way to Sturgis, and headed off towards Pensacola.

I wish Neal would adopt me J.
C ya maƱana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Cell: 949-433-0761

No comments:

Post a Comment