Thursday, July 19, 2012

2nd Time Around

July 12, 2012
Yemassee SC

Departed Vero Beach at a decent time and continued riding up the I-95 heading for SC…I hope to reach Yemassee if possible.

The ride was basically uneventful though I didn’t think I would find Yemassee as there were no signs announcing it.  I was getting tired, and it was getting close to calling it a day when I spotted a sign for an Econolodge.  So I pulled off the interstate and checked it out.  It appeared run down somewhat but I got a good deal for a room rate so I booked it.  Before leaving the lobby I asked the clerk what town was I in so I could calculate mileage, etc.  He replied, “Yemassee”.  Wow! I couldn’t believe it!  The small town was located about 4 miles away so I decided to head there and visit the train station.

After unloading the gear into the room I headed in to town.  Had to ride down a very, very country road….kinda cool.  Finally arrived at the edge of a small town, with the other edge visible.  Sure enough, there was the train station.

50 years ago, on December 19th, 1962, I was on a train that pulled into this station…tho’ I think it has since been rebuilt since it is a very attractive brick building. I and about 20 other young men were warmly greeted by Marine DI’s and transported by bus to a 10 week, government paid vacation at Parris Island J,

This town appeared very small, no restaurants other than a Chinese place that was closing for the night.  So I headed back to the hotel and an interstate gas station that had a Subway sandwich shop.

I found it interesting to be here and to reflect upon the changes that have occurred in our country as well as in my life.  When I got off that train I was thirsty so I went to the water fountain for a drink. There were two. One was marked for whites.  I was a stunned 18 year old to see such a thing.  I also was an 18 year old loaded with fears and hopes. 

Our country has changed quite a bit, fountains like that don’t exist anymore….not too sure about how people think however.  And now I’m a 68 year old loaded with fears and hopes.
C ya mañana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Cell: 949-433-0761

No comments:

Post a Comment