Wednesday, July 18, 2012

KWazy Key West

July 11, 2012
Vero Beach FL

Actually rolled into Key West on the 10th, Tuesday night at around 11:30pm. Went into the wrong site…at appears that NAS Key West has one command but 4 locations throughout the Key.

I finally found the site that had the Gateway Inn for military and go my room at a very good deal - $55 while rooms are around $200 out in town (or so the clerk said).

The ride out of Homestead area, or mainland FL, was in the dark…Which was a good thing. My bridge phobia wasn’t activated too much since I couldn’t see anything in the darkness except the road illuminated by my new LED headlamps. But the phobia was there because I could tell when I was on a bridge…just couldn’t see height or water J.

Got my laundry done as I was soaking wet from heat and humidity. The next day I left the hotel at 11:00am and clothes were already damp from the humidity and affects of the heat

Some folks think that Key West is a romantic place??? I guess one could say it is quaint with old world charm. But it is small and crowded and aged. Also, it is a tourist destination. The place was crawling with tourists when I ventured out to get lost. I really didn’t consider it as a place I would want to go to from SoCal for a vacation. But I liked the locals….they treated me warmly.





But I finally figured out where I was and which direction to take, got my gas and receipt, phone number of the Chevron Station, and mailed my proof of visit letter to the SCMA at the local Post Office.Also got my photo taken at the PO and at the buoy marking the southern most spot of the continental USA.Then I beat feet and rubber outa there.Said goodbye to the chickens and roosters running free all over and goodbye to the tourists

My condolences to the locals….who happen to be very nice and accommodating with the influx of people.


By the way, it takes almost 3 hours to ride the 100 miles from mainland to Key West. Speeds are 55, 45 (predominant) and 35 at night for deer.

And the cops are like birds of prey swooping in for the kill when they spot a speeder….which seems to be the modus operandi all over FL. I have never seen so many people getting tickets. Must be the only way they generate funds for the state.

I made it to Vero Beach and got a motel room for the night at a Howard Johnson’s. Would you believe that I was a busboy, soda jerk, waiter, and cook at HJ’s when I was 17?
Let’s hope I avoid the state troopers….and the thunder bursts.
C ya mañana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Cell: 949-433-0761

No comments:

Post a Comment