Friday, July 20, 2012

Cuttin’ Around Congestion

July 14, 2012
Danbury CT


Had a light continental breakfast at the motel and met Dean Brant of PA and his wife.  We chatted about bikes and traveling.  Out in the parking lot as I was heading to get on the bike and head out, Todd Bowden (may have last name wrong) from Elmira NY stopped to chat.  He used to do subcontract work for Defense companies and is now a corrections officer.

Departed Fredericksburg with in and out sunlight.  The weather was forecast to be in the mid 70s so I didn’t put any jackets on and enjoyed the open air conditioning that only bike riding gives ya J.

The original plan was to ride to the beltway, go around DC and head

north to Harrisburg and then to Scranton.  But looking at the map before going to sleep I saw a nicer circumventing route out of Fredricksburg.  VA17 to I-66 west to I-81 and connect to I-84 in Harrisburg.  The total route was like 35 extra miles but it would eliminate the frustration of the DC congestion on the Beltway.

Last year I rode through NYC on a Sunday, 9-11 to be exact.  Cut through there around 10pm and still had to deal with crazies.  Delivery truck was ticked at me for not going fast enough over a bridge and barely missed me while passing.

This year I’ll just go around all that frantic congestion.  And I am so glad that I did.  I saw some beautiful countryside riding through PA and then through upper NY into Danbury.

I stopped at a Super 8 in Danbury and as I rode into the parking lot there was a touring bus parked outside.  Inside, the clerk greeted me with “we’re full up.”  Seems the bus was loaded with Tourists from China and they took all the available rooms.  The clerk suggested that I continue on to Waterbury where I should find available motels at affordable prices.  Seems that their proximity to a train station that can take folks into the city in less than an hour is justification for adding $25-30 to Super 8 rates (before all the extra bed taxes!).

A few more miles up the road had a Microtel sign for the next exit.  I took the exit and ended up riding about another 6 miles to a small town called Bethel.  Just a little CT town tucked away amidst the rural world nicely removed from NYC.  I finally found the motel but a lady was walking out of the lobby and told me “I think I just got the last room”…..she was right.  Back at the intersection I noticed a Days Inn and got the 3rd last available room.

When I went around back to park the bike the space in front of my room was taken up….along with 5-6 other spaces…..by boat trailers.  Some guys were standing around chatting and, noticing a generous space between two boats in front of my room, I asked one of the guys if they objected to my parking between them.

The guys were very friendly despite looking repulsive like most boaters :) (oops, sorry, I confused that with “bikers”), and we ended up chatting about their boats.  Seems they’re in a bass fishing tournament and their team has these 4 powerful boats that they race to a spot to claim their fishing area before others can claim it. 

Anyhow, they were getting up a 0430 and I didn’t feel like getting up at that hour to move the bike.  So I parked Sophia in a no parking hash marked zone….who cares?  It was the back of the hotel anyhow.

Guess sometimes you just gotta fish or cut bait J
C ya mañana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Cell: 949-433-0761

1 comment:

  1. So entertaining.....love reading yr blogs. Makes flying actually seem boring in comparison......see u soon. Liz

    ReplyDelete