Friday, June 28, 2013

Day 5: June 6th, Beautiful WY, CO and UT

The ride out of Rock Springs covered previous ridden territory from The Three Flags Classic last year as I passed Green River and Little America.  Then, a short distance west of Little America I was greeted with the beautiful expanse of the Wyoming country.  Ranch land everywhere, hills, mountains.  And then the big joy…..to the south I could see the Colorado Rockies.  Absolutely magnificent with their snow capped peaks reaching into the high skies.  Nary a cloud in sight obstructed this view for many a mile.

The next surprise was Utah.  I swear, every time I ride through this state I am introduced to new beautiful country.  Today it was on I-82 as it branched off of I-80 and headed NW towards Ogden..  The highway meandered through the most gorgeous pass with steep green mountains, some capped with snow, guarding the sides of the gently curving road.
 
There was a view site for the Devil’s Slide but I didn’t stop.  I did however, glance in passing and caught sight of a dual parallel rock formation funning down the steep mountain with a space between the two….I guess this is where the Devil slides down….freaky!  The views of the canyon was beautiful.  I stopped in Mt Green for gas and saw a picnic bench under a tree so I enjoyed a relaxing lunch with the sound of the birds in the cool shade.

From Ogden I continued on I-84 heading to Boise.  This stretch of road from Brigham to Rupert, about 120 miles or so, is a long hot stretch.  Out of Mountain View the winds started picking up but weren’t that bad.  Through Idaho and into Oregon it was a good ride.  The only challenge on the ride was the setting sun blazing into my eyes.  Baker City showed up so I spent the night there.  This is the place where Paint your Wagon was filmed with Lee Marvin and a young Clint Eastwood.

Unfortunately it was late and the only food source I could find was a Domino’s Pizza.  While waiting for the pizza I went outside and met Mark and Becky from Missoula MT.  They were on a BMW and enjoy riding distances, so I introduced them to the SCMA.  Back at the motel the pepperoni sausage went down pretty quick when chased by a beer!
C ya maƱana,
Gonzo
Twitter: @GonzoCrossUSA
Email: GonzoCrossUSA@gmail.com
Cell: 949-433-0761
LiveViewGPS: 70.169.216.3/specialevent.aspx?cid=liveviewgps&login=gonzo.ronald@live.com&pwd=7082

No comments:

Post a Comment